Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Tapers off to nothing

spi

This problem is driving me a little nuts! My 3410 which has a 14 hp 320421 in it runs fine when I start mowing but once I'm half way done it slowly begins to loose power. The RPMs begin to slow as you start each new row, then picks up until the end and I turn around. Then it will slowly build again. This will go on until it will hardly be able to move.

If you shut it off for a while and let it cool it will be ok until it warms again. I have replaced the coil even though it doesn't skip or run rough. To no avail. The only reason I did this is because it seems temperature related. After I got done mowing I checked the engine and it turns over by hand so it isn't seizing, the mower deck turns over nicely, and the tractor rolls so it doesn't seem to be a parasitic power drain.

I haven't a clue what to try next and don't want to just start replacing stuff.

Sounds like maybe the valve clearance needs to be adjusted.  As engine warms, things move until the valves are held slightly open when they should be closed.  I would check the valve gap, it is not a hard thing to do.

STeve

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I looked this process up and it looks pretty straight forward. But it is going to have to take a back seat for a while. I'll put a deck on another tractor for now. Thanks

Would of said it needed a good cleaning under the tin

but if you replaced coil

you probably cleaned  the fins

Hmmmmmm, never thought of that. In all the years I've been running points and condensers I've never had a condenser go bad. These points and condenser have been in there a long time. I just clean and reset every once in a while.

Easy to check though.

Thanks

Exhaust valve too close. Could be the intake, but put my money on exhaust. When it gets hot, exhaust gases allowed back into the combustion chamber because it does not close completely when it gets hot. It will still run, just not good. Intake valve too close will make it pop sputter, maybe die, then do fine again when cooled