Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  

Planting Help

I'm relatively new to this board and recently discovered that planters were available for my B-210. I'm getting ready to plant about 1/2 acre of corn and I don't want to do it by hand like I did last year. Are planters available or does anyone have any ideas for a homemade version ?

Dutch
I've seen used seeders go for over $200 on eBay. Earthway has a seeder and it's on sale now. Could probably rig it to pull behind a tractor.[A href='http://www.earthway-outlet.com/1001b.htm']http://www.earthway-outlet.com/1001b.htm[/a]

MPH
Dennis, since you live around farm country I would think you could find an old 50's or 60's model corn planter and modify it to suit your need pretty cheap. If you get lucky maybe you'll find and 2 row pull type..MPH

Thanx for the input. In the future I plan on buying an old 2 row planter to put on my Ford 861 and I will expand the garden plot then. In the mean time I ordered an Earthway. Now if I can just find someone to push it while I watch from the tractor... Thanx Again, Dennis

snapper1650
Dennis, I use the Earthway that Herb has linked above. It is 100 times better than planting by hand. The seed plates are a snap to change (mine came with all of the needed plates). This is a very LIGHT duty planter. Having the seed bed debris free is a must, since the row "opener" clumps up easily with debris. I thought about mounting it to my garden tractor, but like I said this thing is light duty. The belt that drives the plate is small and does not run very tight. It slips easily with little resistance (another reason for debris free seed bed). But like I said, 100 times better than doing it by hand... Billy