Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
dmcluckie

More Slipping Hydro/Belt

dmcluckie
Thanks to all the replies to my message of 5/11. Tonight I checked the idler parts and changed the oil and filter on the K215A trans. The new filter says Simplicity and the old one said Tuff Torq so I think this unit never had the scheduled 50 hr and 300 hr oil changes. It has 312 hours. I will have to do Al's suggestion of pulling the upper vent plug, because I could only get 2 quarts back in and showing full, where the book calls for almost 3. I did the air purge procedure but it did not change anything. I had to quit before I had time to do what Al suggested. I cannot find anything wrong in the idler parts or the drive or driven pulleys. However, while at the dealer I checked the tension on two similar units (new Landlords the same style of mine). The idler assemblies and transmissions are different but I would expect the same basic tractor to need the same belt tension. The ones in the store were tighter than mine. There is no adjustment for tension on mine. I suppose it is possible that the spring is weak. Anyone encounter that before? To me, the fairly new belt shows signs of slippage. Maybe the factory would know a tension spec? It is not in the service manual. -Don M

BradW
Don, it is possible for those springs to be a pain in the butt by getting old, they are fairly cheap, just go get a new one, keep the receipt, if the tension is the same take it back, just a thought.-BradW