Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

clutch switch replacement

dodgetruck

Allis 620-  the front and rear clutch switches up by the steering wheel-they were finicky when it was running 4-5 years ago.  I am replacing the destroyed wiring harness, I am wondering if I can replace those switches with another aftermarket one on the shelf.  These switches have the four spade terminals, what I've been able to find at stores are either the 2, 3 or 6 terminal switches.  Will these work okay?  Or should I continue the search for a 4 spade switch?

I replaced one on a Ford LGT 125 this year. My small parts shop simply handed me the book, said to find one on my own. I had the shop manual for the tractor showing positions of the wires, found one that matched and bought it. I had to bore the hole in the dash a bit for the new switch. Other than that, the plug went on with no problems. Parts are out there,just sometimes hard to find online, where you have little info on parts.

What you need is a DPDT on-on switch. That is to say double pole double throw (6 terminal) 2 position. This accomodates the safety interlock so that the tractor cannot be started with the PTO engaged, a feature I will not defeat on my tractors.

Here is the one i have used

cole hersee 55018BX

Here it is on ebay.

ebay 55018bx switches

John U

• Like 2

On 7/16/2020 at 12:08 PM, dodgetruck said:

These switches have the four spade terminals

@midnightpumpkin's advice it right on.  The 4 spade terminal switches are "special" in that they are missing the two spade terminals that are "Un-wired" in this crude wiring sketch (where "I" represents a spade terminal):  

PTO Wire    I     I    Un-wired

PTO Wire    I     I    Safety Circuit

Un-Wired    I     I    Safety Circuit

When the switch is "ON", the PTO wires are connected and the Safety Circuit wires aren't (and the tractor can't start).  

When the switch is "OFF", the Safety Circuit wires are connected (and the PTO isn't) and if all other safeties are satisfied, the tractor can be started.  

• Like 1