Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Big Ten up and running again

Chris727

Finally getting around to some old projects. I bought this way back in 2017 and had it shipped from PA. Mainly bought it for the Hi-Lo and RH lift. Well after getting it up and running I wanted to correct some PO mods and tidy a few things up. In the fall of 2018 I pulled the dash and removed the fuel tank. I cleaned the fuel tank with some evaporust. It was better but not near 100%.. A PO had added a separate choke cable instead of repairing the original "dual control" on the dash. All of this time, I got sidetracked. Every few weeks I would promise myself I would get back on this and get it done. Fast forward to last week I was making a throttle cable up for a clunker B-207 so while I had the materials out, I removed the dual control throttle/choke mechanism and sized up a new choke cable. I based the length on a couple I had pulled from other tractors. The z-bender tool was also helpful. After installing on the machine I found they were too long. Had to take it back out twice to adjust the length. Works like a charm now. IMG_3070.thumb.JPG.61322be98c4bf5f566749a602fd12be4.JPG

After reassembling the machine it fired right up quickly and still ran smoothly. I took it out and played a little with the grader blade I bought from @MDB. I had a high spot along the side of the road that needed to be lowered a little. 

IMG_3089.thumb.JPG.d606a3b8e4342a32f636a00fe85d8408.JPG

Got it worked down. Took the tractor back up the hill and noticed the drive slipping. Checked the tightness of the differential adjusting bolts. They were loose. Torqued them to spec. Drove and the machine still slipped. I thought maybe something was going on with the slip clutch. 

IMG_3093.thumb.JPG.697877313825db0a0d24310c3cbad4e4.JPG

Was surprised to see the nylon thrust washer was on the wrong side of the metal washer and was therefore not carrying out any function. I'm surprised it worked as long as it did. Reassembled it in the correct order and it was back to driving like normal.  These looked like newer parts and I put a drive belt on this when I purchased it, I guess I did thisO.o

IMG_3086.thumb.JPG.f96bbe2b8bd48595bf6b5394e7658cf5.JPG

• Like 5

Looks pretty good, I completely forgot about that custom notched grader blade....You got that at Ottawa when You and Gene were here?

• Like 1

What did you put the high/low and right hand lift on?

A small thing I find interesting on these Big Tens is that the color brochures show a black air cleaner, yet thus far I have only seen yellow air cleaners on the actual tractors.

• Like 2

Thanks for posting the pics.

Maybe your post will give me the "push" I need to finish my B-110 to HB-110 conversion I started 4 years ago. 

All the "hard" stuff is done.  Similar to you, work stopped over a control cable (the "twist to hold" throttle cable).  Finally gave up trying to fix it and acquired a new one.  

Of course it's too hot here in the NE to work on it now.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, MDB said:

Looks pretty good, I completely forgot about that custom notched grader blade....You got that at Ottawa when You and Gene were here?

Yep. I'm probably going to see about getting the notches welded up. Works great. 

6 hours ago, SmilinSam said:

What did you put the high/low and right hand lift on?

A small thing I find interesting on these Big Tens is that the color brochures show a black air cleaner, yet thus far I have only seen yellow air cleaners on the actual tractors.

Sam, the RH lift lever is hanging up in the shed with intent to reinstall eventually. I lost the pivot bushing and need to make or source one. The hi-lo was removed because the trans has a problem where the input shaft moves outward on its own and this was not compatible with the 2 speed pulley. Needs the trans swapped or repaired. 

As for the black air cleaners, I believe many of the big ten brochure photos were actually of an early B-10, looking close the data plate of the 23D engine can be seen. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chris727 said:

I'm probably going to see about getting the notches welded up.

Notches cut to clear running boards on newer tractors?  

Just now, PhanDad said:

Notches cut to clear running boards on newer tractors?  

They will clear without being notched. Mike theorized it was for a loader subframe. 

• Thanks 1