Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

smalljob

Simplicity Broadmoor 707

smalljob

Yesterday I picked up a couple of 707's. From the tins on the engine's I believe that one is a 66 and the other a 67. The 66 is in better condition although they both start. The 67 was used as a parts machine and some things have been stripped from it. It has been a bit since my last project and after I worked on a friends early Broadmoor, I got the itch to restore one. The 66 was not charging and that turned out to be a short in the light switch which is installed in the side of the hood mount. No fuse just hot wired into the L leg of the VR. The fuse on the ammeter was fried. The PO had replaced the 20 amp with a 30 amp. Good thing he didn't have anything bigger who knows what might have fried. The resiliency of this old hardware is amazing. Had that happened on some new equipment it would probably have done major damage, but in this case just had to resolve the issue and it now charges great.

Looking for information on the correct light switch location and what that switch looked like. There is something over the throttle choke mechanism, but I suspect that was suppose to be an indicator light???

Thanks for your help

Bill

IMG_6512.jpeg

IMG_6505.jpeg

smalljob

I did a little more digging and it appears that the original instructions show that you hot wire the lights to the VR. No fuse and no switch. So they would be on any time the tractor was running. Interesting. 

not sure I care for that approach. 

862063AA-695C-4FE8-ACE4-DC621F5D6E3C.png

smalljob
1 hour ago, dhoadley said:

I didn't know there was a light kit for Broadmoors. That's a rare thing if its original. Good luck. I love my 707.

Do you have the button over the top of your throttle / choke levers? (See my picture)

TomSchmit

It has been a long time since I had a 707 or 717 but I still have a few 728 and later Broadmoors (they steer much better and the 3 speed tranny with PTO is a big improvement over the 707's 2 speed). I believe that button is a fill plug in a hole that was for a light switch. There were never any indicator lamps on the small tractors, so that is not the purpose. My later tractors had a similar plug in light switch holes, so I am pretty sure that was the intended use.

Tom

smalljob

Thanks Tom, That was what I was thinking of doing. I have worked a lot on the older JD round fenders they had those plugs for options. This also has the hi/ lo rearend although I think it might be stuck in low. When I drove it it seemed much slower than the 66 Broadmoor I recently fixed. Something else to look into.

It seems when it rains it pours. I have not acquired any tractors in a couple of years. Then this showed up 15 minutes from my house for $50. I could not let it go. Definitely needs some work. Engine turns over by hand and it shifts into all gears. Worth the gamble

Now I have plenty to keep me busy.

IMG_6520.jpeg

• Like 2

TimJr

I am pretty sure that the lights used on the early Broadmoors had switches on the lamp housing itself to turn the light on and off.  I don't think there was a master switch that controlled both lights.  I think the lights had a black housing and a chrome bezel.  Later lights were all black and no longer had a switch on the housing.

I would have to do some digging in boxes to get some lights out, but that is what I remember.

Do you have a wider pic of your lights and grill?  From that pic, those are not OEM lights and someone hacked the grill badly?

• Like 1

smalljob

Tim, I agree with you this is not OEM. The research I did agrees with what you stated. No they did not touch the grill. They made up some side brackets. I certainly have seen worse owner modifications.

IMG_6502 (1).jpeg

Talntedmrgreen

Your post reminded me I have a jazz-up job to do on my 717. I’ve had the stuff sitting here for a couple weeks and haven’t had a chance to pull the tractor out and get it all on. Pictures show the original guide lights and the optional chrome bezels. The bar is the OEM mount. The last picture kinda shows how it is positioned.

900D9998-CD9C-489B-95DB-332FF896489A.thumb.jpeg.7958e88a708d9df7354b3a9ec75c799e.jpeg

97B81404-1A2D-416D-9801-4E831D83C391.thumb.jpeg.f4e6fa94bd39bd05c5f4013e497fe25b.jpeg

7342CB99-B45F-470D-A924-EAEB32F7EDA9.thumb.jpeg.03f3b1351ed5835c0f7bd007756b9802.jpeg

DC94949E-715F-469F-B478-5E8229AC6DAC.thumb.jpeg.ee9df1c9e43f0cd2a8f72abb0380f880.jpeg

• Like 1