Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Front wheel bearings

richp

I agree with Greg' on just maybe more harm then good. Only because sometimes the easy way out is not the best way. I have found if water gets into the inside bearing its usally because the rubber seal is bad or that the seal is good and there is to much play in the bearing because the set coller is not tite enough. Even with bearing buddies you should check your bearings & seals for wear and adjustment. Its a good idea but just not for me -just my opion-thanks you guys->jackl-happyjack<-

A friend of mine gave me A set of trailer bearing buddies for my trailer, for people that don't know their small housings with grease fittings that you replace your dust caps with. I went to install them on my trailer but found they were too small, so not wanting to waste them, I fitted them to my landlord, (perfect fit). In the winter we get A lot of slush which will submerge the front wheel bearings, so now occasionally I'll pump A little grease in them and push the water out. Also they don't stick out too far, about an inch more than dust covers. Any feedback. Rich P.

Besides packing the bearings and coating the races I coat the inside of the wheel hub and axle with grease to help prevent any rust buildup from forming. Trying to remove a frozen bearing from the axle is not a lot of fun! Commercial: Our shop uses only Valvoline Special Moly EP. OK - where's the check. ;-)

I think this is a good idea, as long as you don't "overgrease" them and attract dirt and muck to the grease, but just keep the thing full. Some bearing buddies are spring loaded to keep pressure on the grease -- the ones on my boat trailer are, and work well UNLESS you overfill them, then they sling grease everywhere once the everything warms up driving down the road...

I'd also thought of adding some to my tractor, especially since my dust covers are so beat up. Do you know what size they were so I can "shop" for them?

This is just my opinion, but I'm not so sure this is a good idea. I just took my front wheel bearings apart on my B112, and couldn't understand why the entire wheel spindle housing was filled with grease. It was filthy and difficult to clean up. I was determined to ensure that I only use enough grease to grease the bearings when I re-assemble, and no more. The outside bearings have no seals on them, so I would think that a bearing buddy will quickly push the reservoir of grease through the outside bearing, filling the spindle housing. The air that is displaced from the spindle housing may in turn push the grease out of the inside bearing, even though there is an oil seal. This would be very bad. I understand the benefits of bearing buddies, but I wonder if there's more potential harm than good. Probably a good maintenance program where the wheel bearings are cleaned and greased annually is all that's needed. And replace those dust covers Kent! Those are important!

This information applies to my B-112, but I don't have any idea if it applies to any other models.

Greg

J.N, You're gonna need al those 'free' samples,and then some if all of us come on down for a free tune-up!/oil change/lube job![even Fred's comin!] dlc

Hey Dave, since Brett's already buying me a ticket to come and rake his lawn, are you and he going to split the cost of air-freighting my SunSpot to the east coast for the free service at Jeff's? After that I'd be ready for the "East Coast Members' Custom Cutting Tour", for anyone who has the room to turn around a Spot with a 60" deck.

Tell me Fred does Spot have to fly'first class too??! ....Oh,all right!...We got you and Spot tickets to fly out here...and we got a real good deal on the airfare too!...only prob. is... your Both gonna have to jump out when you get over Princeton,N.J. as that's as far OUR NY money can go!... Pack your chutes guys!... Look up Jeff!,they are on the way! dlc

If free samples are being sent out, send them to Midwest where blades are spinning and wheels are turning. I hear there isn't too much of that out East.

Sorry Jeff. The plug was not preapproved. No compensation without preauthorization. But free complimentary samples are being sent to your house.

Oh well - I guess I'll have to start buying by the trailer load to get on their hit list - 25 gallons a year is just pocket change. Please send MANY samples.
;0)

steps out. I also like you Jeff coat everything I can inside including the spindel-pack bearing- you know the whole 9 yards. Yes those frozen bearings are a real fun trip that's how I learned they taught me not to over look them. I would send you a check but the boss won't let loose of it after my last big purchase. Can someone send Jeff a check as I think he is over due. Thanks again Jeff and you just keep those tid bits a common ok-jackl-happyjack

Oh - so thats what I saw flying around town the other day - Fred flying his "Star". And I thought these things were just for mowing grass - move over Wright brothers - there's a new "kid" in town - or should I say the air? Maybe we could market a universal fly & mow machine! It certainly would make trimming the trees a breeze!