Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

tiller question

does an open sheild or closed shield tiller go on a 67 B-12 Which one works better and do i get it for my Simplicity 700,B-12,Hb-212,or my 1996 Simplicity Sovereign and get a newertiller for it.thanks Joe

I have used both open and closed shield tillers and the closed shield tiller work better because they contain the dirt and do not let it fly around.

Both styles were available for early B-series, using the separate tiller drive. The first ones made had a curved shield and no covers on the ends of the tines. The next model had a flat-topped shield and end covers. You can see examples in the Parts >> Tillers section. Bill is correct in that the closed ends will keep dirt from coming out the ends and leaves a slightly neater look. But, here in my New England rock garden, I keep the end shields off my flat-topped one, so I can easily get in there and dislodge the small rocks that inevitably get wedged between the tines and the shield. I find that that convenience offsets the slightly neater finish...

I'll agree with Bill on the enclosed shield. Over the years of tilling spruce roots and willow bushes the sides on my troy built gave in to the abuse. I missed them, but didn't realize how much til I scored a new tiller attachment at an auction for 40 buck, kept the shield and sold the removelable style tines and gear box to guy I was bidding against for 25. Man needs more auctions like that one..MPH