Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Model 19 parts revisited

MPH

Got my b---chewed this morning, though a good natured chewing, for looking for mod 19 parts without calling our faithful sponser SLI. I now know they are open Sat am and have rings, seals, bearing, gaskets and carb kit on the way. Sooo to those looking for 19 or 23 parts, just call our sponsers, they seem to be better connected then lawnmower shop up here..Thanks SLI...MPH

A lot of places today if they don't have it on the shelf or it requires looking up in a book they say not available because they don't want to be bothered. To much work. This & $1.00 might get you a small coffee Maynard aka/UCD

I can verify that Maynard. I was at a local Simplicity dealer here in Madison also and had that happen to me. He even said he called the factory but I think he called the back desk of his shop. So I Ordered the parts I needed from a club member on here and it was in stock and I went and picked it just to meet another club member. And I can say they had alot of parts mainly more than I had money for at the time.

I have to agree. My local shop (Toro and other brands dealer) is terrible. They've told me they had the correct belt, three times, in years past, but when I got there "they just sold it," etc.... and sometimes the wrong belt more than twice in a row! Sandy Lake, on the other hand, is like another world. Almost like going back in time, where people answer questions, and don't resent you for asking. For some reason--actually, b/c I needed a tiller belt right away, I did order a Briggs Flo-Jet screw driver from this place, b/c I was there. I had to call them repeatedly for status, and I know the girl didn't even "talk to the factory" when she said she did, b/c I overheard her on the phone to Briggs long after it should have been ordered already. Sandy Lake, I will not make this mistake again. I knew it was a mistake when I started, and they couldn't "find" the tool in the book. Peter

These young people behind the counters are just too damn lazy to look up the answers sometimes. I had a guy ask me about a replacement engine last week. The dealer counter guy, after looking for 20 minutes told him that parts were not available anymore to rebuild the 16hp Briggs cast irons. That would sure be news to me.....Since I just orderd parts not too long ago........ I don't know what that guy was dreaming of????

Sam, There you go beating on the young people again......... Do you think the problem may be the older people (parents, teachers, employers) abdicating their responsibility to train and discipline?

I'm lucky on the Dealership service score----Houghtaling's Garage in Middlebury Center Pa. is thorough AND friendly!! Just so happens the guy behind the parts counter is a tractor nut just like me and when the counter isnt busy will talk tractors till the cows come home---literally cause the place is smack in the middle of dairy country. Dick

There is a shop in town that used to be a Simplicity dealer. They probably have tons of old stock (NOS) in their warehouse but the old gents that work there are too lazy to look up any parts or tell me what they have in stock (if they know). This particular place has been that way for 20+ years which may be on of the primary reasons they are no longer open. I just hate to think about all those good parts going to waste. Roy

It's not just young people doing this.. Remember my story about upstate NY?...People, in general, just don't pay attention anymore nor exert themselves either. Too many battery powered screwdrivers, even the cord is too heavy to pull around..Woody

Hey Woody, us older gases like them cordless screwdrivers..Both the guys I was dealing with were older than me, think the trouble is thier work is just a job, no heart involved..Loss of 'mom and pop' places is making it worse...MPH

I thinking back about how I used to think that One Day I'd be one of those older guys. Now I'm 53 and Still there are older guys around. Wow, I'm starting to feel like a kid again!..Woody

Who said on this board before (Woody)? In 60 years, a 20 year old piece of sh*t will become an 80 year old piece of sh*t. Very true, and over 60 years they seem to develop a real bad "know it all" attitude.