Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

New Oil = Happy Hydro

dmcluckie

I would not have believed fresh oil would bring a hydro back to performing right, but it did. -Don M counting my blessings

RE. YOUR NEW OIL, WHAT TYPE ? WHAT WAS IT DOING THAT CAUSED YOU TO PUT NEW OIL IN ? I HAVE A 7116H AND WAS CONSIDERING CHANGING OIL AND FILTER AS IT'S AN '83 AND I DOUBT THAT THE PREV. OWNER DID IT. JOHNP

Well Don, good thing that is it! John, change it, you might be suprised what can happen when hydro fluid gets changed, if it hasn't been changed before it is well over-due!,-BradW

BRAD/DON, NO PROBLEM (THAT I KNOW OF) OTHER THAN JERKING A LITTLE WHEN I GO FROM FORW. TO REV. IT'S A LITTLE NOISY, SOUNDS LIKE A BACK HOE , SMALL LEAK FROM RIGHT SEAL. AM GOING TO FIX THE LEAK AND AT THAT TIME I WILL ALSO DO THE FLUID. FIRST HYDRO AND I TRY TO LEARN AS MUCH AS I CAN 'CAUSE I REALLY LIKE THIS SIMP. HAD A SEARS (OLD 70'S STYLE) AND A WHEEL HOSS BUT THIS 7116 PUTS THEM TO SHAME. JOHNP

John, if anything, just change it for matinence. It should quiet down and work a bit smoother. It should be well worth it,-BradW

John, It was slipping. The tractor would slow down on uphills and speed up on downhills. It got worse as the mowing session went on. My unit uses 10W30 motor oil but each trans is different. You'll have to check on that.[A href='http://www.simpletractors.com/clubhouse/ShowMessage.asp?MsgID=7417&mode=short&startwith=80']http://www.simpletractors.com/clubhouse/ShowMessage.asp?MsgID=7417&mode=short&startwith=80[/a]

Glad to hear it solved the problem. I guess hydros are like people; we run better in the morning with a cup of freshly brewed premium coffee versus a cup of stale instant coffee warmed up from last week.