Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Corrugated Drainage Tile?

bruker1

Does corrugated drainage tile work very well with a leaf/grass vacuum system? I'm thinking maybe not as it might tend to clog easy? Anyone here have experience using it?

I would have to imagine it’s among the least effective types of tubing you could use given the likelihood to clog, the narrow diameter and the perforations that would allow air to escape. What vacuum set up are you using?

It's a homemade system using an old EZ Rake blower mounted on the back of a Prestige. It blows into a homemade box trailer. The section from the blower to the trailer is where I might use it. The tile would be 6"ID and would be without perforations. 

• Like 1

I'd think if the material were dry, it would work OK. It would be very durable and could take a hit from stones and sticks. The ideal hose would be a heavy duty dust collector hose. 

51 minutes ago, bruker1 said:

It's a homemade system using an old EZ Rake blower mounted on the back of a Prestige. It blows into a homemade box trailer. The section from the blower to the trailer is where I might use it. The tile would be 6"ID and would be without perforations. 

I think the run from the deck to the blower is often the biggest challenge...usually the blower to the cart is kinda a straigher shot.  You might be alright.

A local company I have used many times for cleaning in an aluminum plant around machinery uses drain hose. It is cheap and lasts a decent amount of time picking up aluminum shards from a scalper, edge trimmer and other assorted machines. The scalper shards are sharp, and more abrasive than leaves or grass could ever be. The only time they use a vacuum hose is when static charges have to be dissipated through the grounding wires embedded in a vacuum hose. Nothing stands up very long at the scalper, and the drain hose is cheap. 

If static charges build up, the operator (you) can simply carry a lead wire grounded on the tractor and the cart when you dump. The corrugation might catch debris, but your blower should overcome the drag, except in the case of wet leaves or grass, and if trying to vacuum wet material, any bend in the hose will catch and build up.

You might try searching for vacuum hose. This is only one company that sells truck hose. https://www.centralstateshose.com/Vacuum-truck-hose_c_66.html

From the deck to the blower/vac I have used round galvanized heating duct.  Cheap and light.  One or two short screws to keep the elbow set, done.

Until  I bought the OEM set-up from Kent's Auction.

The way leaves are falling I guess that is next on the list.

Edited by GregB
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I finally got around to putting my rig together. The corrugated tile works great! I'm getting more than I like of blow our from under the deck but I guess that's expected. The only think I hadn't planned on was the over all height of the collector trailer. It's about three inches higher than the close line...:o

• Like 2
  • Haha 1