Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Simplicity 4040 new to me

RonnieT

I bought a 4040 last week  to restore, has front blade and 60" deck, Onan. I was wonder where to find the model number to locate some  repair and parts manuals,

I have a 1000 questions but some can be answered with a manual other I will have to ask the members here.  thank you 

I think the little tractor is so cool and all American.

KIMG1834.JPG

KIMG1817.JPG

KIMG1815.JPG

• Like 1

If it's still present, there should be a foil tag located on the right hand side of the frame above the running board.  That will be the MFG number.  There should also be a foil tag on the  mower deck, mower deck mule, dozer blade hitch & the dozer blade.

Tractor should be MFG - 990705

Mower Deck Mule - 1600328

Mower Deck - 1690074

Dozer Blade Hitch - 1600202

Dozer Blade - 1600201

If you go here - http://www.simplicitymfg.com/us/en/support/manuals - Enter these numbers in the upper right hand corner & the owners manual & parts manuals will show up & they are a free download.

The service manual is located in the "Downloads" section above.  Give some consideration to paying the $10 yearly membership & you will be able to access everything on this site.

Onan CCKA/CCKB parts & service manuals are all over the internet.

Nice looking 4040.  They are great tractors & you potentially be purchasing more of them once you get your feet wet with this one.

Edited by ShaunE
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Looks like a fantastic, well preserved workhorse!  I have grown to really love these, and have had a lot of fun trying the various attachments.  Just Sunday, I spent half the day on my most recent Powermax find knocking down thick overgrowth for a couple of my parent's neighbors, tilling a few gardens and wracking up some Pabst points with everyone who benefitted from my seat time.  I had a blast and I'm sure you will too!

I have to say it though...that is an above average condition 4040, and I'm willing to bet it would look fantastic with a good scrub and some polishing.  I used to restore a machine now and then.  Now I get more satisfaction goign through the mechanical needs, giving them an incredibly good washing, and then using a de-rusting solution followed by buffing.  some great night and day results, and in the end, you have something that cannot be replicated, unlike a repainted machine.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RonnieT said:

thanks My MFG. tag on th right ide of tractor is this 

KIMG1852.JPG

The 705 is the MFG number.  Always prefixed by 990 back in the day.  So as stated above, it's 990705.  The 002308 is the serial number which would indicate you have the 2,308th 4040 produced.

Now get to work getting those manuals downloaded LOL.

Edited by ShaunE
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Talntedmrgreen said:

I have to say it though...that is an above average condition 4040, and I'm willing to bet it would look fantastic with a good scrub and some polishing. 

I would echo this sentiment.  I've come to appreciate originals over nicely restored machines that I'm in the "It's only original once" camp.  Of course, ownership means one can make the decisions about what to do with their projects.

I would suggest reading through this thread https://simpletractors.com/forums/topic/58044-wards-twin-twenty-homecoming-and-revitilization/?tab=comments#comment-465025 to see what Josh is talking about.  What a beauty...and in the end, it almost looks restored!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RonnieT said:

What is this

Marvel Schebler VD Series Carburetor. 

Start by cleaning it.  Float height & adjustments are outlined in any of the Onan CCKA/CCKB service manuals floating around on the web.  Also in the tractor service manual on this site.

Fuel pumps can be problematic over time.  Electric seems to be the most common replacement.  I rebuild the original mechanical pumps for my machines.  You may not want to do that when you find out how much the kits cost from Onan Parts.

• Like 1

The pump went missing as the owner was  working on the carb and the pump when he passed away. I did get the   relatives  to find the pump and just haven't got it from them yet, I think I will rebuild it, I have had***with the vacuum pumps on my Briggs stuff. lots of headaches,

Also was missing was the belt covers for the deck , they haven't found those yet. So I can get a kit for a MS VD type carb and it will work in it? maybe a throttle shaft and float?  Where does one find a  pump kit?

48 minutes ago, RonnieT said:

So I can get a kit for a MS VD type carb and it will work in it? maybe a throttle shaft and float?

My machines are later variants.  They don't have the CCKA carburetor & intake.  They have the CCKB carburetor which is a Zenith.  Never had to do anything with either carburetor.  Just ultra-sonic clean & reassemble. 

53 minutes ago, RonnieT said:

Where does one find a  pump kit?

https://onanparts.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_31&products_id=103&zenid=4af49d86acf68423b1b9e07d3869fd4a

Where you able to get those manuals downloaded? or off the FB group?

both  places and found some Onan manuals on the internet, Stiff never found  much on the front mule,  just don't look like the belt would line up with idlers if mule was in the rear holes yet that is where the paint is missing with it there.

1 hour ago, RonnieT said:

Stiff never found  much on the front mule

Those numbers I posted above for all the attachments you have, there is an owners/operators manual & a parts manual for each on the Simplicity website.  The operators manual gives specific installation instructions along with belt routing. 

The mule is mounted in the rear holes.  The front holes are left open for that attachment.

Just a thought but were me and I was not concerned with it being original , I'd find a CCKB intake and a 532 carb w/ electric pump  Just my $.02

this is pump I've always used on CCKB's

DSCN3876.JPG

• Like 1

wonder what are the part numbers or what do they look like?  have to have other parts like air cleaner and breather tube?  what is that fuel pump?

Another option is a Facet-Purolator Cube fuel pump. I suggest calling Facet and see which P/N they supply to Kohler for their electric fuel pump kit P/N 25-559-01-S and use that one. Looks like maybe Facet P/N 40177.

Edited by Bill725

@720nut and @Bill725 - 

I've seen the recommendation to replace the original Onan fuel pump with an electric pump in several posts.  Why recommend an electric fuel pump rather than the pulse type pump used on the Sovereign Command engine.  

Your answers will increase my knowledge base.  Unfortunately if you ask me for the answer(s) in a year or two, I won't remember.  :(  So maybe there's no need to reply. sm00

I am not opposed to a electric pump as I could also use some on my Briggs engines that continually eat the pluse pumps and the hoses that pulse them.  But I have a few questions,  is the pressure low enough not to use a regulator and should or need to use a return line. If so  what part numbers or how did you do your return?