Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

AC Chainsaw Surprise

bowhunt4life

Awhile back I bought a Allis Chalmers Chainsaw from a family. Great original unit. Couple days ago they got ahold of me an informed me that they found a few items while cleaning that I might be interested in and would send to me. Nice little additions!

AC Chainsaw Manuals.jpg

AC Saw 2.jpg

95204595_3004239372929618_4506007961562251264_o.jpg

AC Saw 3.jpg

• Like 6

Wow, incredible shape , my Dad used to have a couple of those saws , unfortunately I have no idea what became of them

Edited by 720nut
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Looks a lot like the John Deere saws my brother and I had in the 70's / 80's.
Looked the same as the Remingtons of the day, and following the link and doing some poking around, confirmed.
AC made by Poulan, but sure looks the same, though!

Edited by Hick
  • Like 1

On 10/16/2020 at 6:38 AM, 720nut said:

Wow, incredible shape , my Dad used to have a couple of those saws , unfortunately I have no idea what became of them

Dad probably chucked them in the trash.

Manual oiler only. Max rpm 6500. Rigid handles. Chrome bore. (not good)

My dad bought a Jonsereds 52 in 1971. Auto oiler, anti vibe, Nikasil bore, and 11,500 max rpm. I own it and it isn't pretty, but it's all there, is still a pleasure to operate, and has cut around 1000 federal cords of firewood in it's life on the original piston. It's outlived multiple bars and a plethora of chains. If I had these two saws, my AC would look good too.

http://acresinternet.com/cscc.nsf/ed1d619968136da688256af40002b8f7/9a98d7ae6c77deaf88256b350024ae42?OpenDocument

http://acresinternet.com/cscc.nsf/ed1d619968136da688256af40002b8f7/733d39f13d3ab8f888256c6000193f00?OpenDocument

These two saws were being manufactured at the same time. A nice show piece, but was terribly outclassed when it was released. My dad chucked his similar Mac 10-10 in the trash after about 30 cords and ran the 52 for the rest of his cutting life. The 10-10 at least had an auto oiler.

My Dad never scrapped anything , he grew up in the depression era and had a fit anytime I scrapped anything, my bother on the other hand never had any sense other than the all mighty dollar and scrapped everything when dad died, so I have no idea what become of a lot of Dad's belongings

Edited by 720nut
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, 720nut said:

My Dad never scrapped anything , he grew up in the depression era

I understand completely.  

And I inherited the "save" gene - I still have all his tools and a never ending supply of aircraft fine thread bolts and nuts, control cables, small pulleys, etc.  I'm sure it'll all be tossed when I'm gone.  :(

And since is a chainsaw thread, here's a pic of his Homelite XL-12 which is still cutting today:

IMG_0299b.JPG.175ab3e02fee0245124ff00823128095.JPG

Unfortunately after he died (1978), all of his "stuff" resided at his house.  An older, slightly bigger and heaver Poulan all aluminum chainsaw was shown the door.  :(:(  

Edited by PhanDad
Added chainsaw pic & comments
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

In the day we had a Homelite Super EZ 150 and that sure seemed to do it's job.  I gave it to one of the "kids" as a saw for them to use.  I would have to ask the clan who has it now, but it was still running and cutting good.  Think I bought that in the early 80's.  Most of the Homelites became homeowner throw away specials after that.Homelite super ez | #294061408

Edited by Brettw
  • Like 2

Homies have caught on pretty good value wise the past few years. I sold 35 of them this year with most selling very quickly and a lot were purchased for home use and not for the shelf.  Most of my saws were above average condition which does help on resale. 

1 hour ago, fishnwiz said:

I sold 35 of them this year

WoW...you should have room for a couple more tractors then..:ph34r:

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Chainsaw?  Who needs chains?  Wright reciprocating saws.  I have these and the one that my grandfather had.  I remember my dad using it when I was little.  It is like the one in the foreground.  I think the model is GS5250.  They are heavy - can't imagine running it for any amount of time.  I am pretty spoiled by an 11,000rpm Jonsered......

Screenshot_20191103-125647_Facebook.jpg

• Like 8

Back when I was a LOT younger and stronger I used a Homelite 5/20 5 hp 20 inch bar with 3/8 chain. that thing would eat tree trunks but was useless on anything less than 4 inches thick. It slung chips not sawdust.

• Like 1

On 11/2/2020 at 8:12 PM, AC716 said:

20 inch bar with 3/8 chain. that thing would eat tree trunks but was useless on anything less than 4 inches thick. It slung chips not sawdust.

That's what I run on my Homelite XL-12 pictured above when I'm cutting larger diameter tree trunks.  Usually I run a 16" bar, that also uses a 3/8 chain which is what I believe the saw came with.  

I know little about chainsaws, I use the Homelite because that's what Dad bought.  

So what's special about a 3/8 chain vs whatever comes on today chainsaws? @fishnwiz?

Some Chain basics explained here:

and

https://www.chainsawbars.co.uk/chain-guide-bar-sprocket-identification/

just a couple of many out there.

I would ad that there is also "pro" chain and "safety" chain. Safety chain has extra drags that stick up farther as the chain goes around the end of the bar. The idea is that they will prevent the chain from cutting as it goes around the curve so that the saw will not kick back. This is what is sold on most all saws in the box stores and homeowners saws by chainsaw dealers.

Edited by SmilinSam
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/5/2020 at 6:32 PM, PhanDad said:

That's what I run on my Homelite XL-12 pictured above when I'm cutting larger diameter tree trunks.  Usually I run a 16" bar, that also uses a 3/8 chain which is what I believe the saw came with.  

I know little about chainsaws, I use the Homelite because that's what Dad bought.  

So what's special about a 3/8 chain vs whatever comes on today chainsaws? @fishnwiz?

That saw did not have a safety chain. Regular chains cut smaller sawdust thus cut slower and safer. The saw I had was a logger saw with a shorter bar and chain installed. The normal bar for that saw was 36 inch. It would cut most tree trunks in a very short time. I could have the trunk cut up into firewood before the other one could cut off the limbs.

The spike bar was made of brass with longer sharper teeth.

• Thanks 1

On 10/19/2020 at 3:58 AM, 720nut said:

My Dad never scrapped anything , he grew up in the depression era and had a fit anytime I scrapped anything,

My Dad, also. And now we are cleaning up 70 years of "not scrapping anything"!!
I have the same tendency as well.

• Like 3

On 11/7/2020 at 8:29 PM, Hick said:

My Dad, also. And now we are cleaning up 70 years of "not scrapping anything"!!
I have the same tendency as well.

We act as we were raised..... usually666

• Like 1