Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

steve-wis

suitcase weights

steve-wis

Hello all!

Was chatting with a guy at work just before Stephens plow day and was telling him that I would like to have weights on the front of the 918 for plowing.  Well, he and his uncle used to pull garden tractors, his uncle even had a V8 powered tractor.  Turns out they had some weights still around.  I gave him $75 for these, 150 lbs worth, 6 at 20+ lbs each, and two at 10+ lbs each, poured lead.  I thought it was a decent deal.  Now I need to make a mount for them so I am ready for next year.  Here are a few pics, what do you all think?

Steve

thumbnail_IMG_1089.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1090.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1091.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1092.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1093.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1094.jpg

Edited by steve-wis
  • Like 2

steve-wis

Yes, I have seen the cast ones going for $2 to $2.50 a pound.  I think I will paint these either black or orange, or as the guy I bought them from suggested, every other one black or orange.  I thought I got a decent deal on them.  

Steve

• Like 2

Alltractoredup

look really good.  I have been trying to order from Midwest Super Cub all year and they have been out of 10 lb because of covid.

• Like 1

rich_kildow

I cast a lot of lead into bullets each year, and $1 is the high end of  my "jump on it without thinking" price, so you did great just on the lead alone.  

720nut

Ya done good going rate is $1 + a pound anywhere I've seen them .

I bought 320 lb of the 10 lb suitcase weights couple years back and they was $17 a piece for 10 lb weight,  $544 for 32 weights

720nut
On 10/17/2020 at 8:25 PM, Alltractoredup said:

look really good.  I have been trying to order from Midwest Super Cub all year and they have been out of 10 lb because of covid.

Try Doug Rood , he is here in Ann Arbor area, he usually has the 10 lb

• Like 1