Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

maintaining an 1100' dirt driveway

JeffL

If you have a 3 point hitch, a rear box scraper w/ scarifier would be your best bet. Howse makes one. If you don't have a 3 point hitch, try dragging a heavily weighted "H" beam behind the tractor. You must have weight and a straight edge to "cut" down the high spots. Drive sloooooooooow. http://www.howseimplement.com/Landscape_Equip_/Bb-front.jpg

I was looking for the best solution to flatten out my dirt driveway - it is starting to crown in the middle and some small potholes are back after the winter. I have a 4040 with a dozer blade, but "pushing" doesn't seem to work so well on a hard packed dirt. What about a harrow rake or a rear grader blade? I know someone on this site has the answer - I haven't been let down yet. Thanks everyone.

Depending on the size of gravel you have to work with. If its nice gravel a rear blade will do you good. If you have big stones mixed in like I do you need both as the rake won't cut the hard packed rock but will leave the smaller stuff and rake the 'bones' off, then you need a scoop to pick them up. A center mount grader blade works great on mine this spring, but I'm not sure there is enough room between the tires on the 4040 to get 30 degree angle on the 4040. It would take about a 5 foot blade to clear the tractor I'm guessin. Haven't tried that yet. Other key is to do it right after the frost is comming out of the drive because its a lot softer and the fill packs into the potholes better..Been playing on mine this spring with tractors for the first time..MPH

Jeff if your saying you have a rear grader blade i sure would give it a try. I like to do mine after a good rain.It seems to be soft and great to grade before theres to much drive on it.I use center grader blade. Have a good day.---Ron B.

Hi Marty i have my belly blade on my IH 47 Cub it does a great job.I also have a H duty angel iron with raker teeth that i can adapt to it.-Have a good one.---Ron B

i like the H beam idea! i have a very hard packed gravel road, that needs resurfaced, washboarding mainly, was thinking of using the cutting torch to cut teeth on one side of the H beam to really dig it up, then finish with my center grader blade, any ideas how to mount the H beam to the back of a big ten Randy

How heavy of H beam? I beam?? do you, can you, hope too lift it with the tractor liftMPH?? If all you want to do is drag it while you have the torch out burn a couple I bolt holes and hook a chain to it..