Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Big-Ten PTO

BJennings

Hi Brad, Just a thought - do you have the spring pulling the lower end of the PTO toward the back or the tractor? John(ri)

I am having trouble with my center mount PTO on my Big-Ten. I supposedly have the correct drive belt, but my idler still will not hold the belt tight, even when adjusted out as far as it will go. The idler is also hitting the top and bottom pulleys when I engage it. I never have had much luck using this PTO for the sickle or belly mower. I would like to hook up the sickle to mow around the edge of the pond. Does anyone have any diagrams of the PTO setup, or even a used setup they might be willing to part with? Or possibly some suggestions. Let me know!

Below is a link to a sickle mower manual. You know the large PTO pulley is used for a rotary mower, and the small pulley for the sickle. If your PTO isn't worn, try a shorter belt.[A href='http://www.simpletractors.com/operation/46_sickle_bar.htm']http://www.simpletractors.com/operation/46_sickle_bar.htm[/a]

i have a big ten, with the center pto, a sickle bar, and rotary deck, i would be glad to post some photos showing my setup if it will help, i also have the shop manual for everything, a trick i just recently discovered is to put a bar inside the pto to pull it forward to attach your belts, make sure you have good spring tension pulling pto back, and dont forget to use your grease gun, i also had a problem with the e-clip holding the rod inside the pto. Randy

Your problem may be the same as mine with my HB212. The small PTO belt seems to be to long with the sickle mower vs. the rotary mower. With mine the sickle mower belt is longer than the double-V belt the rotary mower uses. This swings the jackshaft carriage further back, and you can get the small PTO belt to fully engage. 1. You can adjust the PTO engagement lever to engage different than the rotary mower. 2. Find a different (shorter) PTO belt. I have found that a newer (good) condition PTO belt will work with both mowers, but I have to re-adjust the engagement. Good Luck! Mike S.