Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

B12 stalling

tej

To check for vapor locking pull the gas line off the carb and let it flow a couple seconds right after it dies. If it restarts and runs again I believe thats your problem. MPH

I've had the same prob a couple of times also with previous posts recomendations check valve clearance

My B12 has developed a new problem this spring. It will mow about half my yard and then stall out. When it cools down it will restart and run back to the garage. I pulled the head and cleaned the carbon, cleaned the air filter and installed a new plug. Still does the same thing. There is no restriction to the airflow so it doesn?t seem to be over heating. Something is failing when the engine gets hot. Any ideas on this problem?

I agree with Rick on the valve clearance problem. I have fixed acouple of engines that had this problem. Sometimes the coil on the magneto will also break down when it gets hot. Coils are known for this problem. Rod H.

• 4 weeks later...
Well I have had the tractor since 1973 and it has never vapor locked. So that left the condenser or mag coil as the likely problem. The condenser was the easiest to change so I did that and that seems to have fixed the problem. Kent you pegged this one.

Glad it solved your problemm, Tim.... I learned that lesson the hard way, back when I was a 2-striper with a family working two jobs and trying to stretch every penny as far as it would go... I'd just replace the points on my VWs when they needed a tuneup, and not change the condenser. Save a buck or two, you know... After having a condenser start breaking down, like you described, and trying to troubleshoot it for days/weeks, before finally finding the problem... I now replace the condensor every time I change the points, no exceptions.... The foot-draggin' Clubhouse Custodian...