Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Big Ten short frame hydro conversion

SmilinSam

Earlier this year I procured a Allis Chalmers Big Ten from a local craigslist sale. Decided to do a short frame hydro conversion . I hav e done two others in years gone by.

2012H...

https://simpletractors.com/forums/topic/33773-simplicity-2012-3-speed-to-hydro-hybrid-project/

HB-110....

https://simpletractors.com/forums/topic/38541-hb-110-project-now-under-way/?tab=comments#comment-38544

Did a third conversion, which was actually my first. It was a "HB-116". A long frame conversion on a B-112 chasis. It can be found over at simpletractors.net in the do it yourself section, when the link works, or when its accessible.

http://simpletractors.net/do_it/variable_to_hydro2.htm

Well, here is what I started with....

medium.DSCN2297.JPG.83c59a22036d9738373d

Another Ac painted red. Had a number of red ones over the years. Usually the previous owners just sprayed the outside surfaces . This guy took the whole tractor apart and sprayed red over ALL the yellow surfaces.

medium.DSCN2299.JPG.dce84b5070d54f8c35e2

They even repainted the engine, gear box, and transmission black

medium.DSCN2303.JPG.20c2e9f41f107cd9634d

Loads of work to get this in proper order...

Edited by SmilinSam
  • Like 2

Earlier this summer I bought a new parts washer and a blast cabinet. These 2 tools have been getting a workout on this project..

medium.DSCN2331.JPG.30a3e94dee3564553dc8

Just a sampling  of the many parts stripped down to bare metal.

Took the bare frame and welded in the hydro control lever bracket. Doing this tractor much like the 2012. Making a few improvement along the way as well...

medium.DSCN2431.JPG.00409bbef3de4d7746fb

The first 2 hydro conversions using a sundstrand control lever just had the flat steel plate  with the sleeve welded into it. On this project I opted to add gussets on either side of that plate.

medium.DSCN2432.JPG.fbf99236339756c7889f

Also welded a patch into the shift pattern hole on this project...

medium.DSCN2430.JPG.024cf0f4785c5d351e87

medium.DSCN2429.JPG.3ce9948c0e3f599da9ab

At this point I have pretty much got all the parts foward of the bevel gear box stripped, painted and hanging from the overhead beams and fixtures.. A sampling below...

medium.DSCN2337.JPG.e7b0c4d0980592546986

So, here we are  right now as of todays work done. Started reassembling today....

medium.DSCN2437.JPG.5bca5733f81bacea5131

Brand new carlisle 4 ply stud tires on the front wheels Hope the engine runs...didnt take time to run it on the test stand. Was told it ran fine. Willl bee adding in a electronic ignition module when I get to the wiring stage.

medium.DSCN2436.JPG.6d8b1ae1d06e96456578

Ready for the steering gears and components to be installed next. However,  I'm at an impass. Lost the steering arm/shaft that comes out the bottom of the tractor. Looked for an hour and could not find where I either set it down or hung it up. Cant even remember if it got painted really... I'm sure it will show up sooner or later:S

Edited by SmilinSam
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, Chris727 said:

Sam, What kind of yellow paint are you using? 

Rustoleum "Tucson Sun" spray cans  While I hate rustolem for chipping too easy, the color is not too bad as compared to some unfaded original paint under the oil on the bevel gear box.

• Like 2

Did a little looking but appears that Tuscan Sun is only available in Aerosol cans. Some more basic Rustoleum colors are available in quarts and could possibly have hardener added. 

4 hours ago, spi said:

What do you do so gas won't dissolve the Rustoleum?

Didnt know gas dissolves dried rustoleum. Thats one problem with rustoleum I have not had problems with....yet anyhow. Will probably just coat the tractor with the same polish/sealer(whatever it is) I put on my Mustang.

57 minutes ago, Chris727 said:

Did a little looking but appears that Tuscan Sun is only available in Aerosol cans. Some more basic Rustoleum colors are available in quarts and could possibly have hardener added. 

Well thats disconcerting...... Was wanting to get a small can for touch up

23 hours ago, SmilinSam said:

Lost the steering arm/shaft that comes out the bottom of the tractor. Looked for an hour and could not find where I either set it down or hung it up. Cant even remember if it got painted really... I'm sure it will show up sooner or later:S

Found the steering arm......

Searched for 3 hours today while putting parts away and cleaning up the shop. No signs of it. Went and cleaned the parts washer out for the winter, and guess what I found at the bottom of the tub when I drained itdz

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 11/15/2020 at 7:51 PM, SmilinSam said:

Did a third conversion, which was actually my first. It was a "HB-116". A long frame conversion on a B-112 chasis. It can be found over at simpletractors.net in the do it yourself section, when the link works, or when its accessible.

http://simpletractors.net/do_it/variable_to_hydro2.htm

https://simpletractors.com/research/do-it-yourself/__variable_to_hydro2/

20 hours ago, SmilinSam said:

Didnt know gas dissolves dried rustoleum.

This happened to me on a B10 I spray painted a few years ago. Spilled gas on it and it bubbled. I waxed it after it dried out again and it hasn't bothered since

Sam,

It seems some can still get to the old site and move things but not others.

I have asked about that numerous times but got no positive explanation as to why.

17 hours ago, SmilinSam said:

When did that make it over to this site?

I don't know when it was transferred but DIY is buried. @Chris727 pointed me to it when I wanted to build a sprayer attachment similar to one you wrote up using some of @AGCO918 DIY trailer sprayer ideas too. I can go to the orange ribbon at top in the banner and click on Research, then Reference Info just below the orange ribbon, then scroll down the right column to very near the bottom and there is a Do It Yourself  category with 26 (+/-) artocles. I can click on Do It Yourself to open the articles and then choose. Some neat archived stuff there.  BTW that one and Kent's B216 are  really cool build posts Sam! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

this is what I see when I try:

image.png.a55b915feff0287f59b70073010a00b8.png

When I click on "and 2 more", or show all categories, it does not expand.  Just refreshes

Pagin @CarlH

Edited by GregB

58 minutes ago, GregB said:

this is what I see when I try:

image.png.a55b915feff0287f59b70073010a00b8.png

When I click on "and 2 more", or show all categories, it does not expand.  Just refreshes

Pagin @CarlH

Well I am not sure why I can get to it but here is what I see 5fb5209649344_ScreenShot2020-11-18at7_22_27AM.thumb.png.d9e5e24b10d48a9ee6245966423d57d7.png

then when I click on DIY this5fb520bfdc2f8_ScreenShot2020-11-18at7_20_03AM.thumb.png.73d204ddfcdd3de94eac71091acfec86.png

@GregB   Maybe @CarlH @Chris727 can help me out here. 

Not sure why my screen shots are showing up small but hopefully you can enlarge to see them. Anyway, this is a copy/paste of the right column I see (except some things didn't migrate exactly. Try clicking on the Do It Yourself from this paste to see if it takes you there:

I have the same choices as @GregB and the same refresh action.

The issue of getting to certain things, including the  has been discussed before.  

It's been suggested it's a "permission" coding issue.  I believe that's what it is.  

BUT HERE'S A TIP ON HOW I'VE BEEN ABLE TO GET TO ALL THE DIY POSTS: 

Once you have one of the "tips" up (click the link in @gwiseman's post above to bring up Sam's DIY.

At the bottom of the article you'll see the post scroll boxes:

5fb52ff56b047_SimpleTractorDIY.JPG.d7909bb81028594ae3376926fa3b7970.JPG

If you click on the "PREV" or "NEXT" box you can navigate to all the posts I believe.  They aren't in "box" order (meaning if you're on #16 as shown above, you get #1, SunStar Loader; press "NEXT" on that and you go to #17,, Snow Thrower Hitch.  

For me, clicking on the numbered boxes takes you to other posts, just not the number selected.  

Unfortunately, some of the pics aren't in good shape, such as those in Dutch's Hybrid Snow Blower Hitch:

https://simpletractors.com/research/do-it-yourself/__snowthrower_hitch/

I might "PDF Print" each one so I have a copy.  

If I do, and someone could make a "DIY" category in the Downloads category, I could post them there.

I'm curious what Dutch's pics look like on the old site, maybe they're OK.  If so, that would be the best place to "PDF Print" them from.  

• Thanks 1

I'm getting the same as Greg, both in firefox and Edge browsers. There is no DIY listing at all.

If I click on you link to the HB-116 topic provided by Gene, it will take me to that topic, and I have acces to just that topic.

Like Bill said,  I can get to the topic from Genes link , and from there access the other DIY topic from the numbered list at the bottom.

However, from the HB-116 topic if I click on the DIY in the current location breakdown screenshotted below, where it lists Home>Research>Do it Yourself>variable to hydro 2::

image.png.61cc2061c5e5b8fb26c203cc105d1501.png

I get this:

image.thumb.png.aef36c7ff7c4ff541603d8a8cff0ab81.png

• Confused 1

I suspect Greg and I are having the same experience.  When I click on @gwiseman's provided "menu" I get that I do not have permission and the page cannot be found. permission_error.thumb.jpg.f39221d8aca7385eeb1865419934a6b0.jpg

Back on subject for a moment...

Got more done today...Steering parts all present and accounted for , and installed

medium.DSCN2441.JPG.35a82f3de4c545957c4e

Gearbox installed as well as driveshaft. Right and left levers also installed...

medium.DSCN2440.JPG.9e306f7a19159c54ddff

medium.DSCN2439.JPG.afc9b7d765bf76686c40

medium.DSCN2438.JPG.0ae85fdce53b48b2e31e Should have probably coated everything with a few coats of rustoleum clear, but I dont think it would make alot of difference in the chipping of the paint.

Even so, it sure is looking a whole lot better NOT red...

Probably wont get back to this till Sunday. Dash frame will be next

• Like 4

13 hours ago, SmilinSam said:

Back on subject for a moment...

:S Golly Sam, we tried to derail you there didn't we.  Sometimes you remind me of a blast from the past (fastpaul) how you can start a project and BAM! you can finish it quickly and do quality work. Looking good my friend. I like the Rustolium color

1 hour ago, gwiseman said:

Sometimes you remind me of a blast from the past (fastpaul) how you can start a project and BAM! you can finish it quickly

Its going to come to a screetching halt here pretty quick. Still dont have a donor tractor for the Sundstrand side filter transmission setup.

Been a bad year for procuring  parts tractors from the consignment auctions, which is where I get most of my junk parts rigs. Those auctions have pretty much dried up due to covid. Checked a few other sources I have and have several people keeping there eyes open.

1 hour ago, SmilinSam said:

Still dont have a donor tractor for the Sundstrand side filter transmission setup.

To keep the project going,  did you consider converting a remote filter setup to side filter?  (Assuming you have one)  

7 hours ago, PhanDad said:

To keep the project going,  did you consider converting a remote filter setup to side filter?  (Assuming you have one)  

Dont have one of those either. I'm game to try the conversion if one of those shows up first.

You know the old adage...Beggers cant be choosers

• Like 1

a little more progress today...

medium.DSCN2445.JPG.0407520368489803aa04

Got the tower in, regulator installed , as well as the fuel tank and fuel lines.

medium.DSCN2444.JPG.394c420b4a3a15220705

Picked up some flat black high temp stove paint today. Thought it might work on the muffler after I brush the coat of rust off it.

Also got the decals set ordered from clickitandstickit.

Notice the other Big Ten in the background of the last picture?

I bought a 3" pneumatic polisher today. Tried it out on the hood of that tractor......

medium.DSCN2442.JPG.674ec74a2b153ccf8a3b

medium.DSCN2443.JPG.e076f638a6dc9602c348

Not bad at all for what it looked like before. Wet sanded with 2000 grit paper first to get  all the oversprayed paint, bumper sticker lines, and surface rust off it. Then followed up with some meguires polishing compound and the buffer. If the rest of the tractor comes out at least as good as this, it should make a nice original runner to play with. Started putting the hi-low on it today too.

Edited by SmilinSam
  • Like 3