Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
johnmonkey

Patching a mower deck

johnmonkey
I have a 42" mower deck that I'm repainting and there is a few rust-outs on the deck. How has anyone patched a mower deck i.e. attach metal plates with screws, weld, rivet. What works the best? If you attach with screws should you caulk the patch with silicon? How about body putty? Thanks John H

Dutch
Definitely weld or braze. If you can't do it yourself, cut and fit the patches (screw in place temporarily) and take to a shop. Use metal of equal thickness to original. Drill 1/8" holes at end of any cracks to stop further cracking.

Woodydel
On the inside of the patch you will undoubtedly have rough edges even after brazing. I've come up with a Simple way to restore the smoothe contours and I've tried a few. Silicone caulking and a plastic squeegy like you use with body filler will fill in the gaps nicely. It's slick and you can easily contour the silicone to match the inside surfaces. It will NOT fall out of the patch after it cures and grass doesn't stick very well to it at all. It's rubbery and when hit by debris is unaffected. I've done it and it works...Woody

MPH
I'll share a trick an old plumber showed me years ago for useing silicone around bath room fixures, after you apply it neatly as possible give it squirt of 409 to get a perfectly smooth wipe down. I've gotten many a complement on commerical const jobs for my caulking jobs because thier are a lot of crude one done but accepted as 'the norm'. MPH

MatthewS
i have been using fiberglass patches for smaller holes and pitted metal seems to be holding up well, dries to a smooth surface in a couple hours, if its real bad do top and bottom.

HubbardRA
John, Glad to hear you are fixing up the mower you got from our trade. This just reminded me, email me your address. I got the manual, and will send you a copy of the one I already had and the one I just got. Between the two just about everything for an AC 710 is covered. Rod H.