Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

What to salvage on a Allis 917 rear end

Bigstone

I finally got around to removing the rear end on my 917 do to an axle shaft break.  I found a good used so I'm in the process of installing the replacement.  At this stage I could use some help identifying what items have valve so I hope to recoup some of cost of the replacement.  About the only thing I know is the beveled gears is worth quite a bit but that's it.  This has be over a year in the making to get replacement done.  Any help here would be much appreciated. ( I probabbly will be back for more help along the way.

Thanks Dave    

IMG_5863.JPG

IMG_5864.JPG

IMG_5865.JPG

IMG_5866.JPG

IMO, there's a lot there to salvage.

As you mentioned, the top item is the BGB, I'd open it up and check out the shape of the gears and key/keyway of the cross shaft.  Assuming everything's OK, button it back up and you'll have a spare.

The Cone Clutch (complete)

The hydro pump/motor (complete)

The left side plate and matching hanging PTO and both pulleys - these can be sold to someone wanting to convert their Simplicity 7000/Allis 700 series to the newer style mid PTO and run a snowblower with the long belt. (As has been done to your tractor at some point in its life)  

Remote hydro filter setup (not a high demand item)

Axle (a good replacement for Vickers owners when the left removal hub fails).

Differential (based on the pics, some parts are missing) - including the large rubber band like seal that's NLA. 

Of course take pics of everything.

• Like 4