Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Onans aren't so bad after all

lboy1971

Well I got my 620 running good again. I had just put the gas tank on a couple weeks earlier. It looked shiny and clean before putting it on. I put a new fuel filter and electric fuel pump on at that time. SOOO... I thought that wasn't the problem. Well the intake tube in the fuel tank was almost completely plugged. After using an air blow gun to get it opened up it runs great again. I'll run the gas down then take the tank off and check it out again. Has anyone modified their tank so they can take the inlet tube out? Long LIVE ONANS!!! lol

Lloyd, I'll take an Onan anytime over a Briggs. So much simpler. Coil, points, and condenser. Just like an old Chevy or Ford. It's this Magneto thing on the new B207 that gets me confused. Just too complicated. LOL Paul

I'll take an Onan anytime. They need a little tinkering/tuning but nothing runs as smooth. And they are mil-spec so properly maintained they run forever. Steve

Paul, just put a new electronic magneto on the briggs then you don't need the points and condenser. I've used them and they work pretty good. Only have to gap them correctly and make sure the flywheel key is good and away you go.

I prefer magnetos because the engine will still run if the generator goes out or you don't have a battery. A magneto with electronic ignition (no points and condenser) is about as simple as it gets and works fine. My 2 cents, Roy

Electronic ignitions are nice till they break. With a battery and points, I can have the engine running again in just a few minutes with a screwdriver, file and feeler gage. I don't even have to take the engine apart. My Briggs has been changed to use a Kohler coil with battery ignition. I threw the magneto away when it broke. I don't want to pull another flywheel unless I have to rebuild the engine. Rod H.