Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Rear wheel loose on axle of B212

RickoHB212

I was putting chains on my left rear wheel and had it jacked up. As I grabbed the wheel I had a lot of movement up and down and side to side. Will take wheel off tomorrow but was wondering what would case this. Possible bad keyway or loose bolt wheels. Something must be wrong with the wheel hub. Any thoughts?

1 hour ago, RickoHB212 said:

Something must be wrong with the wheel hub. Any thoughts?

The left rear hub is removable on your tractor.  Same setup is used on my AC built Homelite T-12 with Vickers hydro.  There are 2 setscrews with locking nuts that are used to hold the hub onto the shaft.  They can come loose or break.  If ran with these loose, than either the hub or shaft can be damaged.  I've had the setscrews break when trying to remove them.  Use plenty of penetrating fluid to loosen them. 

Here are some pics so you know what you're getting into; first the hub with the 2 setscrews visible:

IMG_8250a.JPG.0fa8954b7af038b6af28e5ff1121db7a.JPG

The axle shaft after the hub is removed:

vickers_spare_009.thumb.JPG.b9fba21bd909ec405867479c4aab5c68.JPG

Note there's a long key and a round bottom hole in the shaft.  

The hub set screws:

IMG_0144.thumb.JPG.865640d5e65972091f1eccfabd66ec0e.JPG

The short setscrew is used for the key; the longer setscrew is used in the shaft hole.  

• Like 1

Took off wheel and removed both set screws. Hub is very loose on axle and will not come off. Keyway is moving. I think the hub has worn groove into axle and can not remove it. Will get a puller and try that. If axle is bad do I have to remove the whole rearend housing to install it.

50 minutes ago, RickoHB212 said:

removed both set screws

Make sure the whole setscrew removed.  I had the long "pointed" one break off - the tip remained in the axle.  No way was the hub coming off.  I had to drill it out and in doing so messed up the threads in the hub. 

53 minutes ago, RickoHB212 said:

If axle is bad do I have to remove the whole rearend housing to install it.

No, but you have to remove at least some of the differential parts on the right side of the tractor.  If you can get the left hub off, the axle can be pulled from the right side and the differential housing doesn't have to be unbolted from the carrier which is required if you pull the axle from the left side.  

If axle is bad do I have to remove the whole rearend housing to install it.

No.  There are a couple ways you can do this. But you will have to remove the Right wheel, Right axle set collar, then loosen the two diagonal 7/16" fine threaded bolts on the wheel hub (these are torqued to 25 Foot Pounds to set the limited slip).  Then you can remove the Right hand wheel hub from the differential.  Then remove a washer, snap ring, a stack of three thick keyed spacers & a gear (yours may have the newer gear that is shouldered without those spacers), Two Woodruff Keys, Then another snap ring & thin spacer.  To accomplish all this right hand side work, you will need to at the minimum, loosen the set collar on the Left side axle & move it outward to be able to slide the axle to the Right to gain access to all those pieces.  Once all those pieces are off, you an then slide the axle out of the tube to the Left if you have not removed the Left hub, key, set collar & spacers yet, or either direction if you have removed all the Left side components.  Pay attention to the orientation of the washers that meet the snap rings as they have a relief on the side that contacts the rings.  

Take your time, study the IPL & be prepared for a lot of old black grease inside the differential & axle tube.

As I type this, I see that @PhanDad has responded as well.  He types faster then I do.

Try Bill's way first.  I'm always doing more work then I have to&:)

Edited by ShaunE
  • Like 1

As to removing the axle, I believe there's many ways to do it if you're dealing with a removable left hub (and you can get it off).  Without the left hub off (newer tractors have the hub welded to the axle shaft), I believe there's only one way.  

For reference, see this old post:

https://simpletractors.com/forums/topic/10428-differential-questions/?tab=comments#comment-207419

Here's a post that has some pics of pulling the axle shaft from the right side as @ShaunE described above and also from the left side:

https://simpletractors.com/forums/topic/64456-axle-tubes-and-ag-tires/

Note in the above post, the newer right hub is shown.  Your right hub might be as Shaun described in his post:

IMG_8479.thumb.JPG.3e60dd18768ac4ea12b37cf9f73322df.JPG

Here's another post describing differences with the welded hub axle shaft:

https://simpletractors.com/forums/topic/64630-ac-416h-rear-wheel-hub/

Well I got the left hub off with a puller. The axle is shot. The keyway went and the longer bolt that goes in the axle came loose. Who ever tore this down before did't put the longer bolt in and it loosened. So I got my shop manual out and was able to tear down the rt side and got the axle out. So tonight I ordered a new axle and left hub. Now will look at your illustrations to see how the differential and rt hub come off axle. Thanks everyone for your help.

• Like 2

Is the B212 axle the same as a HB212 axle

I believe the HB212 takes the same rear axle as the HB112, so  based on this info from my early B parts manual, if its a late model B212, then the rear axle is the same:  

image.thumb.png.95dea8c7eec96cb12023791a17bebfba.png

image.thumb.png.2b0ae340ded3fed85948c4a970a296a5.png

AC part #2027219 crosses to Simplicity part #164221 which supersedes to 2164221SM

PS - Some pics of what your asking about would help us know exactly what you have.  I believe the HB112 and HB212 series tractors with Vickers hydros  all came with the right hub as shown above (and shorter axle).  Later Vickers had a different right hub and a longer axle.   

I think I ordered the correct axle part #2164221sm. My axle is 24" long X 1 1/8" dia.  I took the differential off and the rt hub. All seems good there. Just waiting for new parts.

• Like 2

On 12/2/2020 at 5:12 PM, RickoHB212 said:

I think I ordered the correct axle part #2164221sm. My axle is 24" long X 1 1/8" dia.  I took the differential off and the rt hub. All seems good there. Just waiting for new parts.

Am I to understand that you just ordered a new axle from an Allis dealer for a 50 yr old machine?

I have a complete rear end sitting around off of a simplicity 3012 that you can have for $25. It should have all the parts you need. I'm in Ohio if you are interested.

Dave

On 12/4/2020 at 9:24 AM, RickoHB212 said:

No , I ordered from Partstree and it is on back order right now . Still waiting, Hope to have it soon.

I wonder if back order means NLA.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well I found a nice used left hub but everywhere tells me the new axle is on national back order. Which means who knows when it will be produced. So I guess I will be looking for a good rear axle. If anyone knows of one let me know. Thamks