Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Your 2020/2021 "winter sports " teams

SmilinSam

Ok gang, whats everyone using this year for "Winter Sports"&:)

This year I only prepped 2 of the 4 possible units..

medium.DSCN2462.JPG.c17d05d3b7e828f19252

Sunstar with 46" dozer and 3 point weight box, and the Kubota BX 25D with 2 stage blower, power rotator, power flap,  and Cab with Heater. Used to put the 3 point on it with the weight box, but anymore just leave the backhoe on for weight. 

Never had chains on either and no problems with traction or getting stuck. Sunstar blades the snow in front of the tractor shed because of the wind swirling the snow there with a blower. The Kubota does everything else including the 600' of driveway

The other two applicable tractors are the 98'  open air Legacy with a single stage blower , and the 03 Prestige with cab, blower, power spout and power flap. I just keep all the components for those out where they can be got ot and will only setup if I have a breakdown. The Legacy can in a pinch wear the sunstar blade using its  blower subframe assembly.

I learned a long time ago that it always pays to have a back up tractor setup or 2.  When I was still running Wheel Horses, The engine blew up on my main blowing tractor once. Thankfully had a spare tractor. The other time the 2 stage wheel horse blower hit a chunk of frozen ice in the drive and destroyed the gearbox for the auger. Thats when I had to drag a Simplicity 3416H out and a 42" blower I happened to have that would fit it...along with the clutch assembly. Whats the chances of a Wheel horse guy happening to have all that sitting around? Been blowing snow with Simplicitys ever since.

Edited by SmilinSam
  • Like 7

Nice pair, Sam!

I have my usual, the T816 with loaded turf tires, chains, and 42 inch heavy blade for on the gravel in front of my play garage, and then the Agco 918H with cab and blower, loaded ag tires on the back with chains.  In reserve is the little 627 for which i have weights, chains, and either a 36 inch blade or 32 inch blower.  Should be good to go for winter.  The pic shows the two ready for winter, and the 627 still in summer mowing mode.  The 3212V now has loader sub frame fixed and mounted and is waiting for maybe an eventual loader.

Agco still has turf tires in the pics, they were taken before buying the Tru Powers for it this fall.

Steve

IMG_0824.JPG

IMG_0823.JPG

Edited by steve-wis
  • Like 4

Have not really even thought about it yet. Blower on the 17GTH, or a blade on the 716-6.  Have a blade for the XL with a cab, but also am still using loader to move firewood I  am splitting.  Would like to build the fork carrier for the XL loader.  So many projects, and not enough time.  Still have to work to get paid.

• Like 1

Same as Greg, just hasn't been much of a priority. Been working on several small frames that I really wanted to get moved on to new owners year. Taking longer than anticipated to get them done and haven't done any work to the 7116H yet. Its still wearing the chains and the 46" blade from last year but does need the oil changed. Wouldn't even be able to access it if needed. There is the JD TRS22 walk-behind blower that does most of the work. I don't think it has been started for a year either. 

Well, ATM I'm adopting the @GregB plan- the electric Ryobi 20" walk behind ("push in front" is a better description) is ready.  Of course it's always ready.  

And the 7016H blade tractor and 75th blower tractor are in position:

winterreadynot2020.thumb.JPG.546fb69e4afd9230af7c2882e95a1baa.JPG

Although I might be forgetting something. 

• Like 3

I’m not ready yet, still mulching leaves with the Sovereign. Work has me behind, but she will be getting the 42” blower with chains soon. Those cabs look nice, going to have to try to get one someday.

You asked for them...

1980 Ariens ST 824.  Grandfather bought new in 1980 & died the same year.  Throws snow of any depth or density 30 feet out into my yard.  No worries about stacking up piles or feeding the beast with this two stage.  I have never kept a Simplicity or Allis snowblower long enough to ever use one.  That includes the ones for the Powermax tractors as well.  Takes up less real estate than a tractor, don't have to add chains, weights or a cab.  And the most important thing, I don't have to let mother nature rust out my tractors prematurely.  Especially the running boards of these newer ones covered by plastic.

IMG_3333.JPG

• Like 5

11 hours ago, rbstuartjr said:

I’m not ready yet, Work has me behind,  Those cabs look nice, going to have to try to get one someday.

I'll be rolling with the "new" Sunstar & 47" 2 stage (may or may not put the cab on) @ one place, and the overdriven single stage hooked to the 20hp Honda powered Sovy @ my domicile. 

I was awake @ 5:15 this morning to start my day. I just finished an invoice and sent it, then talked to a client about paying for a job finished a couple weeks ago. I'm working tomorrow and Sunday, and most likely 5 days next week. Check the time stamp.  Money is good, but I can't wait for the snow to come so I can tell people "I'll get to it in the spring".

Here's my new Snow Cab for the home Sovereign

Usual_snow_cab.jpg

Edited by kwt
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, kwt said:

Small problems may be hard to see, but I'm seeing a short spout rotation handle.

Yes. Been meaning to address that but I just stick my arm out the slit in the cab that seems to have been made for that very purpose.:D  I generally don't need to rotate it too much. I blow in towards the garage, back up and blow back down.

We have less here than in north MO where I moved from. Yet if not prepared you know what happens. I may mount a blower on the B210 later just in case... 

98C33394-B924-4E09-92EF-8C9C1F95595A.jpeg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, dhoadley said:

Nice cab! Where'd that come from?

Original Tractor Cab Model FG 7374.  Fiberglass cab made for the Powermax platform tractors.  My favorite of all the cabs.  Even the all metal Cozy & Simm's cabs.  One was for sale in MI about 10 years ago on CL for pretty cheap.  Don't know where that one ever went.  One for sale with a tractor & attachments in Seneca IL two years ago or so.  I was trying to buy just the cab but the seller wasn't interested in selling just the cab.  @Talntedmrgreen bought the package & not sure where the cab went from there.  

https://simpletractors.com/forums/topic/8173-snow-cab/

Here are a couple pictures of the one Josh bought & another one out in MD.

80609520_3371688199570730_5707065024376209408_o.jpg

80620004_3371687902904093_7103959955799015424_o.jpg

Powermax Cab#1.jpg

1 hour ago, ShaunE said:

Original Tractor Cab Model FG 7374.  Fiberglass cab made for the Powermax platform tractors.  My favorite of all the cabs.  Even the all metal Cozy & Simm's cabs

Yes, that's where this one came from.  I had to fab the lower front portion to work with the Sovereign.  But, being fiberglass, with the doors off I can maneuver and mount it myself, it's not too heavy.  I saw a Cozy come up for sale and I almost thought about selling mine and looking at it, but I think it takes a few guys to mount it and that was not appealing to me.  Also, no wiper, or internal light or roof strobe or defroster like I have on mine, although that wouldn't be all that much to add.  I can tell you this, you definitely need ear protection inside this thing, it's like being in a drum!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The only drawback to a hard cab is when you need to open the hood to check oil, charge battery, etc. I imagine that might be challenging unless there is a way to access that I'm not seeing?

Here is my arsenal.  Picture is a couple of years old, current the Toro S-200 snowthower has been replaced by a Snapper 82V Max battery snowthrower.

1996 Kubota B2400 4WD with FEL no chains: 1982 Simplicity 7119 with M20 hydraulic lift and 700 series cab, electric spout turner, chains on turf tires; 1976 AC 710H with hydraulic lift and deluxe push blade, bar lugs tires no chains.  BTW the way the blade has the 3/4" rubber wear edge dOd.

Not pictured 2019 Snapper 82v Max 20" snowthrower.   I like it and my wife loves it!  dOddOd

Note:   The item that gets the least amount of hours during the winter is the Kubota.

IMG_1002.JPG

Edited by MikeES
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, tripleguy said:

The only drawback to a hard cab is when you need to open the hood to check oil, charge battery, etc. I imagine that might be challenging unless there is a way to access that I'm not seeing?

No. it's a bit of a pain.  This tractor uses maybe a half pint a year of oil, so that's not an issue with oil.  I have a lead from the battery to the cab for the power rotator, wiper, interior lights, defroster, etc., and it's set up with a plug in connection, so I can plug into that to charge the battery if need be.  Fuel can be accessed inside the cab.  It's not the ideal setup for that stuff regardless.  But there wasn't another good way to support the front of the cab that I could come up with.  So, when I do absolutely have to access, 5 bolts allow me to remove the front lower portion to open the hood.

• Like 1

Don't get me wrong, I like your hard cab. Anyone install an LED light bar on top of their cab? I was thinking 120 watt, 12 volt would run 10 amps. I'd remove the wire from the headlights and use the switch. I changed my lights out to halogens. They're bright but the spout is in the way. A high LED bar would throw a lot of useful light.

• Like 2

B25BF493-0759-4941-94C7-B4BD1DFE7D4F.thumb.jpeg.056bb76268efd021432c27dfdaafe90b.jpegI got old reliable ready to go. Model W with a 36” blower, won’t take me long to put a blade or blower on my Allis 916 with an 18hp vanguard if need be. I have a Jonny bucket on it right now which I could push and move snow with if I needed to  30F4D085-4B26-4231-BF69-AEF612C5E9E5.thumb.jpeg.a762b0395c3a7fe3b3ba07cd20004449.jpeg

• Like 5