Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

yeoman snow thrower clutch

AC710

What kind of clutch do the vertical shaft Yeoman tractors use for the wheel drive and implements? Do they have a bevel gear box like the larger models with a belt drive clutch?

Specifically I would like to know how the snow thrower is engaged. Is the two-pulley tensioner used as a clutch or is there a clutch on the engine driveshaft? Also, are there belt guides or stops in the system? I have been trying to help someone who keeps throwing belts but don't know enough specifics.

2 pulley tensioner IS the clutch. Engagement lever on the right side pushes the pullies forward to tighten the belt. The pulley set is up in front of the tractor behind the bumper under the engine.

The blowers have a unique hitch that allows for the belt to run off the verticle engine. Uses a different way of threading the belt around and through  the clutch. I think only one of the 2 pullies is used to provide the tension

Should be 2 belt stops up under the engine near the drive pulley. Should also be a  belt stop or something like that around the drive pully on the blower to keep it from hopping off there.

Been a long while since I had one of those.littlie ones. So I dont have anything to take pictures of here. But in the case of these little blowers on the Yeomans/Broadmoors,  a picture is definately worth a thousand words.

Edited by SmilinSam

Thanks, that helps. my guess is he is missing some or all the stops/guides and/or is popping the clutch.

I have seen the belt routing and a pic of his machine so have a pretty good idea how it lashes up.

Edited by AC710

I'm working on getting my Broadmoor ready for some winter fun.  Continued working on tires this past weekend.  I'll try to do some detailed pictures once I'm finished. These two tractors should be very similar. Good luck, Dave

This blower setup uses a relatively long belt, a convoluted belt route, and fairly long distance between pto pulleys and blower drive pulley. So the belt is prone to jumping off track pretty easy if there is any problem. Belt guides are necessary, and worn bearings in pto pulleys also causes problems. Get the manual and make sure belt routing is correct and belt is not twisted wrong!

The snowblower has 2 pins on each side on my Broadmoor. Thought I'd post these just 'cause.

The back pin uses the mower mount point.

DSC02716.JPG.f8fc338a5fad916c0a8770a692423b92.JPG

The "hinge" pins through a hole in the frame by the front bumper.

DSC02717.JPG.4be3e86278f61266376f409357806274.JPG

From the engine pulley:

Right side goes fully around the clutch pulley and back to the idler pulley.

DSC02719.JPG.825efe83d2bfc13fc6e7311598b1674c.JPG

The left side goes over the top of the cltch pulley and around the large blower pulley and back to the idler pulley.

DSC02718.JPG.53c87915e40322f30a755d11b9ae0eb5.JPG

I hope this helps. Good luck, Dave

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, dhoadley said:

The left side goes over the top of the cltch pulley and around the large blower pulley and back to the idler pulley.

Great pics, that really shows the lash-up. He has a new belt and I'm pretty sure he is popping the clutch when starting. I haven't heard back this week.