Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Big ten points

Trenten

The points on my big ten are just dumping oil out of them I'm not sure if there is a seal or not but we lost the points cover in the restoration if anyone knows how to fix it and if they make replacement points covers that would be helpful!

1 minute ago, Trenten said:

I'm sorry but the site will not let me download the pdf

The links aren't for .pdfs, they are just Talking Tractors posts.  They should open for you.  

6 minutes ago, PhanDad said:

The links aren't for .pdfs, they are just Talking Tractors posts.  They should open for you.  

The parts manual for the points cover it was in the post you linked to me it wouldn't let me download the manual for the parts number also is there an electronic ignition for the big ten I could buy?

Edited by Trenten

43 minutes ago, Trenten said:

The parts manual for the points cover it was in the post you linked to me it wouldn't let me download the manual for the parts number

To get full access to the site, you have to be a dues paying member.  Lots of stuff available for $10.

49 minutes ago, Trenten said:

is there an electronic ignition for the big ten I could buy?

As to the electronic ignition, there is a pic of one at the top of the first post referenced above.  I've installed a "MegaFire" on my Homelite T-12 and it's been working fine for years - it uses the regular points magneto (which must be in good working order):

MegaFire0028.jpg.14d7ac2b3de8a6b7a7187379bb801fb0.jpg

MegaFire_Wiring4.jpg.70551f74c8c9e51ee9f78f6c5947ca49.jpg

• Like 1

Are you spitting oil out of the missing screw holes that hold the cover or are you loosing oil around the plunger shaft?

If you install the above ignition (which I have done to several of my tractors with great success) you still need to have the plunger and plunger seal in place and screws in all the points cover holes.

Edited by MikeES
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Trenten said:

The parts manual for the points cover it was in the post you linked to me it wouldn't let me download the manual for the parts number also is there an electronic ignition for the big ten I could buy?

4 hours ago, PhanDad said:

To get full access to the site, you have to be a dues paying member.  Lots of stuff available for $10.

Per year if I I may add.  The best $10 per year you will ever spend.

& stop trying to hump that flag in your avatar.  There is a backroom lounge for those discussions.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, ShaunE said:

Per year if I I may add.  The best $10 per year you will ever spend.

& stop trying to hump that flag in your avatar.  There is a backroom lounge for those discussions.

that's not me in my pfp that's the President

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, MikeES said:

Are you spitting oil out of the missing screw holes that hold the cover or are you loosing oil around the plunger shaft?

If you install the above ignition (which I have done to several of my tractors with great success) you still need to have the plunger and plunger seal in place and screws in all the points cover holes.

I don't exactly know where its coming from but is my plunger seal supposed to be able to be pulled up its not really secured down its just sitting on the metal

2 hours ago, Trenten said:

I don't exactly know where its coming from but is my plunger seal supposed to be able to be pulled up its not really secured down its just sitting on the metal

It is supposed to be secured.  There are three components.  Seal - #68768, Eyelet - #93516, Retainer - #221873

As far as a points cover goes.  They are NLA from Briggs but eBay will have them.  If you are going to eliminate the points & install a Magnatron coil, then I suggest what @Bill725 has done.  If you have the old style bushing, update it with the new style with the exposed 3/8" threads.  Then place a 3/8" jam nut & 3/8" cap nut with sealant inside on the end of the new bushing.

Edited by ShaunE

1 minute ago, ShaunE said:

It is supposed to be secured.  There are three components.  Seal - #68768, Eyelet - #93516, Retainer - #221873

As far as a points cover goes.  They are NLA from Briggs but eBay will have them.  If you are going to eliminate the points, then I suggest what @Bill725 has done.  If you have the old style bushing, update it with the new style with the exposed 3/8" threads.  Then place a 3/8" jam nut & 3/8" cap nut with sealant inside on the end of the new bushing.

how do i update the style? and what does the old style look like?