Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

SImplicity 725 / landlord front PTO part number??

Bigbent

Hi Guys,

Thanks for a great site. I've been lurking for months but this is my first post. Forgive me if my post is in the wrong place or this info is here, somewhere, I just cannot find it.  Seem like it shouldn't be too hard to track tis info down.

I have a 725 (19D) and a landlord (23D), that I'm trying to mount a simplicity snow blower to but I do not have the  pulley for the front engine PTO. 

I can see online images that it is not just a pulley... it seems to be backed by a cast iron piece (hub?) and I gather it has some built in clutch action? 

Can anyone help me find the item numbers for these or let me know if a heavy duty cast v pulley with right ID and OD will do the trick? 

I've got a plow setup on the landlord for the snow coming this week but am eager to get the blower mounted to one of these tractor or the other.   

FYI - I currently have a  3 belt thrower - may get my hands on have a single belt blower tomorrow. 

Thanks in advance for your help!

Ben

• Like 1

Not sure about a 725, but the "newer" FDT tractors with single stage snow blower had a clutch built into the hitch and a "regular" pulley on the crankshaft that sticks out through the grill.  I would think the 3 belt setup would be similar.  Someone with knowledge should repay.  But since you're hoping to get a single belt blower, here's some info:

The OEM pulley was cast.  Here's some pics of the pulley on my B-110:

wintersleep_001.jpg.958e6ec1cc5bd9229ad0e0fa24d1f68f.jpg

The cast pulley is 4-3/8" OD with an effective diameter of 4.1" (the belt rides at the top of the groove.  Also, if you look close at the pic above, you can see the belt guides that are necessary for proper clutch operation.  They can be seen better in this pic:

B110Home_0001.jpg.e4418a8d072bcc69ce9c6f2f32b60165.jpg

This is a pic of the FDT single belt hitch with built clutch:

Old_Hitch_0011a.jpg.f6d4065efdd0015db5c72af5966413b9.jpg

I had cut off the clutch arm so the hitch would fit on 7100 series tractor (before I got a RBT blower and hitch).     

And for those of you that like old photos, here's a pic of my now 45 year old daughter "driving" the B-110:

B110_wSB_Dawn_78Jan.JPG.7f9868c107625bcc0e574565c8f35d09.JPG

• Like 6

Thanks so much, Bill. Great pics and info. I just wish I could see the setup under the cover on the pic with your girl!  Does this blower run off the front engine pulley (under that nifty snow cover)? Or does  it run off a long belt to the mid PTO?   

The 725 and landlord both have the shaft out of the front. Just missing the darn pulley on both.

Here's a pic of the landlord I'm brining back to life.

landlord plow.jpg

• Like 1

This is the one belt blower I have my eye on. Unfortunately, I can't find a model number for it. While the seller tells me it will fit my tractor, I just don't see how it will work....  

fbad.jpg

That blower is for a walk behind tractor such a model W. It appears the main housing is designed differently from those that mount on a riding tractor and thus is not compatible. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Bigbent said:

I just wish I could see the setup under the cover on the pic with your girl!  Does this blower run off the front engine pulley (under that nifty snow cover)? Or does  it run off a long belt to the mid PTO?   

The blower runs straight off the front engine pulley, nothing fancy.  The belt just loops over the pulley.   From the 990487 FDT snowblower owners manual (which can be downloaded at the simplicity site):

image.png.d68fe0d535d65782526699d478c6136e.png

Here's some pics of a 36" FDT snowblower setup I sold many years back: 

SimFDT36SB_0001.jpg.5159cfb86b030cb862a31fe00a4b33a0.jpg

SimFDT36SB_0002.jpg.abb932e5e97e923dcc9791a748db4f78.jpg

SimFDT36SB_0003.jpg.b2edca7e6fc029b4f1c9ade955424d7c.jpg

SimFDT36SB_0004.jpg.7d97b7cda774a85b6c80ba76b21feca1.jpg

SimFDT36SB_0005.jpg.d82cf0a54197364090a3aaacd888e397.jpg

SimFDT36SB_0007.jpg.54dcf210270f3ed4ebacb665645e9abb.jpg

SimFDT36SB_0008.jpg.b92c507d0ccdd67e588255d627c0ff6a.jpg

This setup had a spring loaded lift rod.  My B-110 setup had a solid lift rod.  

• Like 1

thanks again. its good to know what I should be looking for (and how it goes together).  I wish my 3 belt job came with that center pulley!  Speaking of that pulley, the reason for my initial post...  It's solid cast one piece, then? 

Not sure if this will work but here's a video clip of what's on the front of my cousin's 725. there's a bit more to it.  https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jEeLw2nGgHSU9-QwrHB0Yt5Yzq-9XgzY/view?usp=sharing what do you make of that spinning action?

He's 6hrs away, or I'd go check it out myself!

Edited by Bigbent

1 hour ago, ShaunE said:

@PhanDad & @Chris727, Correct be if I'm wrong, but was there two conflicting documents out there that tell you which way the pulley hub faces?

As to conflicting info, only thing I can add is the AC instructions received when the AC snowblower was bought new in 1969 (I think, a year after the B-110) show the same pulley orientation:

image.png.307d3af184d4bd52cb78d58b57bc1314.png

12 hours ago, Bigbent said:

I just wish I could see the setup under the cover on the pic

From the same AC instructions:

image.png.40812eb8bebd59b460fc058d55373c20.png

image.png.5a5ee7f505990da8cc3088ff87778818.png

image.png.646b9a015876aad4caec0aa5b6d2f464.png

10 hours ago, Bigbent said:

Speaking of that pulley, the reason for my initial post...  It's solid cast one piece, then? 

Yes it is. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bigbent said:

Not sure if this will work but here's a video clip of what's on the front of my cousin's 725. there's a bit more to it.  https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jEeLw2nGgHSU9-QwrHB0Yt5Yzq-9XgzY/view?usp=sharing what do you make of that spinning action?

I have no opinion.  I've only seen one 3 belt blower and it was sitting in the scrap heap at a big Simplicity Dealer about 20 years ago.  They aren't popular.  

But one was still working in 2017:

https://simpletractors.com/forums/topic/57082-3-belt-blower-and-a-blizzard/

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, PhanDad said:

As to conflicting info, only thing I can add is the AC instructions received when the AC snowblower was bought new in 1969 (I think, a year after the B-110) show the same pulley orientation:

image.png.307d3af184d4bd52cb78d58b57bc1314.png

From the same AC instructions:

image.png.40812eb8bebd59b460fc058d55373c20.png

image.png.5a5ee7f505990da8cc3088ff87778818.png

image.png.646b9a015876aad4caec0aa5b6d2f464.png

Yes it is. 

them are some sweet pics!!! 

55 minutes ago, PhanDad said:

The Simplicity manuals state for the Weedcutter & the Snowblower to install with 1/4" shaft being exposed.  It doesn't specifically state the orientation.

58 minutes ago, PhanDad said:

I have no opinion.  I've only seen one 3 belt blower and it was sitting in the scrap heap at a big Simplicity Dealer about 20 years ago.  They aren't popular.  

But one was still working in 2017:

https://simpletractors.com/forums/topic/57082-3-belt-blower-and-a-blizzard/

thanks, good pics in there too. Since picking up the 3 belt, I have learned that many people do not like them. Watching a youtube video of one is action with all those open belts exposed and having to un seat to control the engagement, seems a bit nutty.  interestingly, the pulley on tis landlord looks more like the pulley with some sort of bearings my cousins 725 (I posted a google link to a video of this).  Hard to see in this pic but I think this pulley does not sit right up against the grille.  there appears to  be room for some sort of hub behind it.  

Untitled-1.jpg

@Bigbent, I know what you’re saying about the cast pulley used with the earlier tractors. I believe it is just a cast iron pulley which is flanged. It certainly does not contain bearings or a clutch. 

4 minutes ago, Chris727 said:

@Bigbent, I know what you’re saying about the cast pulley used with the earlier tractors. I believe it is just a cast iron pulley which is flanged. It certainly does not contain bearings or a clutch. 

Chris, it depends on what you mean by "earlier".  Apparently the 3 belt blower has a bearing in the engine shaft pulley based on this post:

https://simpletractors.com/forums/topic/54277-3-belt-blower-help/

The above post has some part #s listed.

And in this post might be talking about the same pulley (I have no clue):

https://simpletractors.com/forums/topic/57222-frozen-adjuster-3-belt-blower/

And this old post has a pic (but not detailed) of the pulley:

https://simpletractors.com/forums/topic/50009-need-help-on-3-belt-snowthrower/

3 belt orange.JPG

Second pic is missing.

• Like 1

thanks! this all seems to confirm that the 3 belt systems for this vintage were designed with a bearing in there. I think I read that its incase the implement ends up moving faster than the pto shaft... (hard to imagine with all those belts!). Also seems like a rare bird. Those PNs are wat I was ultimately looking for! Many thanks @PhanDad and @Chris727 for your help! 

28 minutes ago, PhanDad said:

The above post has some part #s listed.

and I just found it (the pulley) NOS one state away on EBAY! now to see if I can actually find the bearing.

Untitled-2.jpg

Sorry if I misled. I should have researched before I spoke. Thats quite a different setup compared to the other crankshaft driven attachments. Use model number 990311 to get an operators manual and parts list from the Simplicity MFG website.  THe manual for the 990311 shows a different number for the bearing than what is posted above, unless I am looking at the image incorrectly. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Chris727 said:

Sorry if I misled. I should have researched before I spoke. Thats quite a different setup compared to the other crankshaft driven attachments. Use model number 990311 to get an operators manual and parts list from the Simplicity MFG website.  THe manual for the 990311 shows a different number for the bearing than what is posted above, unless I am looking at the image incorrectly. 

Thanks so much for this @Chris727  I have the right pulley on the way (NOS) and I see the simplicty bearing on ebay for $12.99 now (AV 2108202SM Bearing, Ball).  Looks like I'll need some other hardware to put it all together but this is super helpful!   

Honestly, the 3 belt system looks pretty scary. While I aim to complete the setup, I'm also leaning towards a one belt setup, which seem easier and safer to operate! Either way having tis manual and parts lists is crucial! 

• Like 2