Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

B-110 clutch/brake issues

jklw77

B-110 has new 10" drive belt , new idler , new clutch thrust washer 157032 simp. #, bearing 157033 simp. # . adjusted to factory settings 11/16" brake and clutch . Rear drive pulley still spinning with clutch/ brake depressed . Getting clattering from trans and or bevel gear box. All fluids checked ok.   serial #065936 Allis - Chalmers       . Any help would be great. 

Usually if the pulley is still grabbing the belt, either the belt is too short, or the belt stop is not installed correctly or missing all together.  My experience anyhow.

Thank you for reply, belt was the same as replaced part , have adjusted belt stop just short of contact  all the time . The drive belt still turning on drive pulley slows  , but does not stop .

It's been 12 years since my B-110 had the standard 3 speed tranny (now a hydro), but 10" isn't the correct belt length and must be a type.  Here's a pic of the clutch belt before it was removed:

IMG_2086.thumb.JPG.89965f382ffad6127c7c95d3ac276758.JPG

The belt is a Gates 6942.  Simplicity part #154273, a 42.26" HB belt.  

Although @SmilinSam mentions a belt stop, maybe he means the belt guard on the BGB pulley.  I would think that would act as a belt stop.  I don't think any parts are missing based on the B-110 IPL:

image.png.bb893479686cc6ada16059f46ea69d65.png 

4 minutes ago, PhanDad said:

Although @SmilinSam mentions a belt stop, maybe he means the belt guard on the BGB pulley.  I would think that would act as a belt stop.  I don't think any parts are missing based on the B-110 IPL:

Yes. Actually the guard and the multi piece drive pulley system is really the "belt stop" on these.  If anything in the assembly of that multi piece pulley is off, it wont let the belt stop.

I did have a problem with this once, a long time ago. I want to say it was that the nylon? strip was missing, but that would be a guess because I just dont remember...

If the brake adjustment is to short it will stop the travel of the clutch idler and pedal and not allow the clutch belt to disengage from the transmission pulley. I adjust my clutch to 3/4" and the brake to 1". 

• Like 2

Have tried clutch 3/4" and brake to 1" and has no change of clutch/ brake. action . idler pulley replacement  was closet I could find locally too original ,  original  was NLA . The drive belt I am using is a Napa B47 which has a 49.77" id....inner drive...length .SmilinSam commented  that belt is short . The flat of the idler is  3 7/16" x 4" od x 3/8" id . Looks like will be heading out to get a longer belt .

I believe there were several diameters of pulleys on the transmission.  If you have a slow speed pulley a different belt length will be needed.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Tom45 said:

I believe there were several diameters of pulleys on the transmission.  If you have a slow speed pulley a different belt length will be needed.  

On 12/21/2020 at 7:04 PM, jklw77 said:

B-110 has new 10" drive belt

I get the 10" drive belt now.

10" pulley drive belt is AC part #2025712; Simplicity #155004 which is 48.9" HB belt.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, jklw77 said:

idler pulley replacement

If the pulley is riveted together, I have used a grinder to grind one side of the rivet, punched them out, replaced the bearing and used machine screws with nylock nuts to re-assemble.

• Like 2

That is a good idea with the idler pulley, and considered it . Factory idler  pulley rode out with scrap heap to recycler. Knowing what I know now , would have done that.In my wildest dreams something so simple as a idler pulley is classed NLA, and does not cross reference  .The 10" drive pulley was from a  wheel kit , to customize your pulley needs, bore/ diameter . With 10" pulley At wide open throttle in first my wife ,short of 5' can easily out walk tractor with a slow walk.Thank you guys for the input .

Stens has quite an assortment of replacement pulleys  https://www.stens.com/products/mower/pulleys-idlers  Mine measures about 3" flat dimension and 1" total width.  

I believe Stens 280-610 is a close match which they say interchanges with Simplicity 1685150sm.  They are available on ebay and others and Brenda at Sandy Lake should have them.