Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

AC 310 axel tube seal leaking

Rpitman

Hi new to site and a new owner of a 1972 AC310 I've purchased it this summer and truly love this tractor, great little tractor,  that being said I do have a little problem my axel tube seal is leaking on right rear , I did find a good article on how to change the seal but my issue is I"m having a rather difficult time trying find the part number and where to order one,  if any one has a number or a source it would be much appreciated 

Hi I have been searching but haven't had much luck , thats were I'm kinda stuck need a part number to order the new seals, to be sure they are the correct ones thought someone might know the number or parts source mfor these tractors or the same transaxle was used by different companies all new to me 

Thanks for the reply 

Enjoy the holidays 

• Like 1

Make sure your transaxle is NOT overfilled.  Most new seals will leak if there is too much gear lube in the transaxle.

Most people fill it to the top of the street elbow, which is too much.   You should  fill until you just barely see oil in the bottom of the street ell (which is very hard to see).  I remove the street ell and fill until it starts to run out of the case opening and then put a plug in.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rpitman said:

I have been searching but haven't had much luck , thats were I'm kinda stuck need a part number to order the new seals

image.png.bad2fa3251605d43286865297e6220fc.png

image.thumb.png.26846ed25aa577f621c3a6622d6460f1.png

image.png.3ab4c2384660a4b157239f03d09b0a86.png

The hydro tranny uses the same seals.  

AC part #2025637 cross to Simplicity part #154269

The last Simplicity OEM seal I bought in April 2019 was a TCM seal - stamped Taiwan, but in a Briggs part bag stamped "made in the USA"  The ones before that were KOK seals Chinese I believe.  Both types were plastic.  

2 hours ago, MikeES said:

Make sure your transaxle is NOT overfilled.  Most new seals will leak if there is too much gear lube in the transaxle.

Most people fill it to the top of the street elbow, which is too much.   You should  fill until you just barely see oil in the bottom of the street ell (which is very hard to see).  I remove the street ell and fill until it starts to run out of the case opening and then put a plug in.

Thanks for the tip, and the response 

Enjoy the holidays 

• Like 1

Prior to installing an oil seal over keyseat/ring groove, I clean the shaft/tube good with lacquer thinner and put masking tape (saran wrap can also be used) over the keyseat/ring goove to protect the seal from getting damaged.

• Like 3

On 12/23/2020 at 6:30 PM, MikeES said:

Most people fill it to the top of the street elbow, which is too much.

My late father-in-law filled a b-110 to the top fill hole. Transmission was FULL. I drained it to the proper level and it quit leaking.

• Like 1