Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Nubian

HELP !!!!!!!!!!! electric clutch

Nubian
had to take the clutch apart from my Deutz-Allis 1920 (Sunstar)to repair some wiring that got accidentally cut. CAREFULLY put it back together and it started smoking once engaged. Took it apart double checked everything and put it back together again by the book same thing. It has an electrical fire odor. What gives?

Mumbly
1. was it working before it was cut? 2. Did wires get cut while clutch was engaged? 3. You put it back together carefully but was it correct to begin with? 4. If you smell wires burning it means something on the wires or in the clutch itself is shorted I know, not a lot of help but something to look for.

Ron_B
Eddy When you accidentally cut the wires the first time did you get that odor.Like was there a short in wires or did the clutch just not work.The odor may still be there from first time.Could put tester on it.Ron B

Cal
STOP trying to use that clutch. After the field has shorted( bad electrical smell) the clutch is trying to ground it self it will usually ground through the crankshaft aan back through the bearings. the engine will only last a short time like this. Bite the bullit and buy a new clutch assy. before you need an engine. Cal

Nubian
OK guys here is a more detailed sequence of events. The engine and clutch were in fine working order. I forgot to secure the clutch when i started the engine to move the tractor and clipped the connectors off when it spun around. I ordered a used one from a junk yard and installed it right away to see if it worked. it started smoking right away when the clutch was engaged I stopped it immediately and removed it and installed the original clutch which ran fine for a couple of minutes and then started smoking like the used one. two clutches same result dare i install a new one. also how do i test a clutch can i direct feed 12V DC current to it? thanks for the replies