Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

42" blower

dhoadley

I picked up a 42" snowblower for my A/C 917H. I need to replace the scraper bar but the tag is so badly worn I have no mfg # to work with. Asking for help from the collective. Thanx, Dave

I repaired mine with a 2" wide piece of 3/16" steel bolted to the existing bar. Unless yours is completely gone you can probably do the same and get more use out of it.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, tripleguy said:

I repaired mine with a 2" wide piece of 3/16" steel bolted to the existing bar. Unless yours is completely gone you can probably do the same and get more use out of it.

I did the same thing after replacing my scraper bar twice with the simplicity one. Bolted up the flat stock.to existing bar and it’s gotten more years than the simplicity ones.

I thought the new one was thicker, but they're about the same. I'll bolt the new one on this weekend and then I'm ready to go.

DSC02734.JPG.50a33548c91ddc08f5d8857489540273.JPG

DSC02735.JPG.de662ed8ec095d908dbbdaebf7b83b54.JPG

• Like 1

To extend the wear, I shim the scraper blade on my blower up 0.040" using a thin machinist scale, thus wearing the shoes. It leaves a little bit of snow, but then I have more play time cleaning up the rest with the 725 and plow.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Bill725 said:

thus wearing the shoes.

And I bet you added a replaceable "wear" plate to the bottom of the shoes too.  

• Like 1

I adjust my shoes up by putting a paint stick under each side of the thrower and lowering the shoes down.  Works well.  Dave

I worked on the lift bar yesterday. (when I was most of the way through, I realized I had forgotten to take photos) The collar on the end had the screw snapped off and the PO had welded the sliding mount, so it was effectively a solid bar with no spring action.  The bar had started bending so it now had a quite noticeable bow to it. I tried drilling out the screw to re-tap the collar, but all I have are lousy bits fit only for drilling wood. (any recommendations on a good set of drill bits?) I ended up pressing out the collar, leaving a scar on the bar. I then ground away the weld and pressed the slider out. Put a pipe to the bar and got it pretty straight and some final tweaking in the press and its back to good. I have a new set screw collar coming and it'll be back to its original design.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

6 years ago I had our driveway "chip sealed", the rock they used is harder and sharper than diamonds, so you can imagine how it chews up shoes and scraper bars.  I have to weld on a new layer of 1/4" steel to my snow thrower shoes every year.  And I keep them high enough so I don't touch the scraper blade on the thrower, but that leaves 3/8 to 1/2" snow behind, that I have to come back with the push blade and clean up.

I installed the 3/4" belting scraper blade on my push blade and it works great and is wearing better than any metal.  Has anyone tried some kind rubber wear blade on the snow throwers? 

Edited by MikeES

I bought a set of Robalon A106BD snowblower skids but I have not worn out the steel skids yet.I only use the blower when there is too much snow for the snowplow because I enjoy the play time. I also have the 1" thick conveyor belt scraper on my snow plow and works very well. It does not tear up the grass along the edge of the driveway like the steel scraper blade did.

“Has anyone tried some kind rubber”

ive considered it a few times for a blower scraper edge, but thought conveyor belting would be too soft.  Now a high density plastic, that might work on my blacktop.

I have had the Robalon skid shoes on the blower since 2008 and I think I have finally worn them through. I wore through the metal ones in 3 years. So I will be putting the Robalon back on.

• Like 1