Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
WaltB

Peerless 5-Speed Tranny Too Much?

WaltB
My Regent 4208 has this tranny but also has an 8HP Briggs. After pulling the tranny out and getting all the gears working again, I am amazed that this big bulky powerful transmission is fitted in this tractor with only a 8HP engine. The engine is a Briggs 191707 and I looked it up on this site and it is 8HP. My questions for discussion: 1) is this the right size transmission & engine match? 2) Could I put a bigger HP engine in the tractor and use the same transmission? I look forward to reading replies from knowledgeable members on this great site! Thanks.

HubbardRA
It all depends on what you are doing with the tractor. It gets really critical when tractor pulling or dragging really heavy loads with AG tires or chains. If the housing is aluminum, a large engine wall trash it if you pull heavy loads. There is too much flex in the aluminum housings. If it is cast iron, it should hold up to some increased horsepower. However, if all you do is mowing, or pulling a lawn trailer, then you can put nearly any engine you want on the tractor. Rod H.

Karl_Brandt
This peerless 5 speed trans was used in Murray,Massey Fergusion and a few other tractors also.I have seen them in 11 hp tractor too.These trans are harder to find if you need one for your tractor. Karl[A href='http://www.simplicityva.com']http://www.simplicityva.com[/a]

WaltB
Thanks for the replies. Right now I only want to use it for mowing. I have enough work on this to get there for just mowing. If I can find a snowblower for it, I would like to use that because one of these winters, Southern New England is going to get some significant snow again.