Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Onan ignitions

720nut

this is on my Simplicity 9020, all of them I've owned and never saw a setup like this. I haven't done anything with it yet.

I haven't started it yet, doing general cleaning, so I don't know  if this works or not

DSCN4017.JPG

Edited by 720nut

5 hours ago, tadams said:

I would like to know more about what you have there Lloyd

I would to Tom as I'd like to put it on the 620 too, I'll have son look at it he's the electrical wizard around here

• Like 2

Those look like GM HEI coils, probably marine engine. Will throw a spark about 2 inches. Thing would probably run without fuel with those coils.

Requires a different in lower voltage trigger system not hard to set up with off the shelf parts. You'll probably find a magnetic pickup and a control module there somewhere that makes it go. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, RAC said:

Those look like GM HEI coils, probably marine engine. Will throw a spark about 2 inches. Thing would probably run without fuel with those coils.

Requires a different in lower voltage trigger system not hard to set up with off the shelf parts. You'll probably find a magnetic pickup and a control module there somewhere that makes it go. 

I get it figured out I like to put same on 620

• Like 1

Try calling Norman at Isavetractors.com ...he is handling Onans B and P series now..he is a good guy and could possibly help you

207-298-9701

• Like 1

Look familiar? Off one of my old pulling motors. 4 pin GM HEI module, dime a dozen. B terminal to ignition switch, C terminal to coil trigger connection, G & W terminals from the trigger. This happened to be a Chrysler distributor trigger. Not a good choice if trying to trigger from the flywheel (this one was set up off the cam, only had to pickup half as fast). A trigger designed for a crank pickup would be a better choice. The module must be grounded and must be mounted on a heat-sink 3 X 3 piece of 1/4 inch aluminum plate will work. Need a trigger pin on the flywheel or crank for the pickup to read. Timing adjustment by changing the trigger pin or pickup location.

Zoom zoom!

IMG_20210111_182553370.jpg

• Like 1

Honesty, we did that setup over 20 years ago. Nowadays there are schematics all over the internet showing how to mix and match the different components. The mid 80's components like the ones in the photo are pretty forgiving (and cheap). The signal pickup options are far better today. You just need to know if your trigger pin can be a simple steel pin or needs to be magnetic.

I actually drug that stuff all out when I put the replacement ignition on the Command in my Legacy just to see if the tach really worked (it will with that setup, but not with the new Kohler replacement ignition)

Edited by RAC
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, midnightpumpkin said:

Don't overlook the Onan Performer electronic ignition conversion for the Onan CCKB.

Electronic ignition for CCKB

It is easy to install. 

John U

Myself & several others have followed this to a "T". Originally posted on Smoke Stack.  The best version out there.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, midnightpumpkin said:

Don't overlook the Onan Performer electronic ignition conversion for the Onan CCKB.

Electronic ignition for CCKB

It is easy to install. 

John U

Thanks John , I'm a ways from needing the ignition as I'm more than likely going to tear this 620 down to the last nut/ bolt and do a complete restore on it. 

I don't have enough projects,  666   so we'll see how it goes

• Like 1
  • Haha 1