Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Anyone try to shoe-in a Kubota 2 cyl instead of th

My Lombardini is toast... Still runs (if I can get the starter to engage) but it's using at least a quart of oil per gallon of diesel fuel... probably closer to 2 quarts. It needs a major rebuild plus a new starter. The starters price alone makes it prohibitive ($1000... OUCH) I found a 2 cyl Kubota engine I think I gan get in there with a bit of modification to the front of the frame (lengthen about 3") as well as a similar treatment to the sheetmetal of the hood... It'll look a bit odd but should work ok. The bulk of this modification is to accomodate the radiator, otherwise the engine would probably fit fine. I'll let you know how it goes... first I have to get the engine. I have a couple potential sources. I've lined one up on ebay if I can get it cheap enough. Anyone know of any potential problems I may have missed or have any info I should know? Chuck

Don't forget the diff. in RPM of the two power plants. Also you may try mounting the rad. at a diff. location with an electric fan. Good luck on your swap, Dave.

Chuck Is your muffler on the 7790 any good? Do you want to sell it? How much? I need one. This & $1.00 might get you a small coffee Maynard aka/UCD

I agree, these motors are fine TILL they need major parts then I"m puttin a Kohler Magnum in mine No major mods needed.And a lot cheaper than a diesel.Got a book where you can get a NEW 3 cyl. liquid cooled Lombardini diesel for $2,900??New Kohler Magnum is only $1200,,

Chuck, Do you want to sell your lombardini? I would like one for parts or fix up, I like them. I just put all new bearings, rings, valve guides and injecters in mine and it only cost $260. my starter is doing the same thing yours is and I just ordered the cluch & gear assembly for $52 from a starter and alternater shop. Not a total rebuild but it runs like new and it cost less than a murray motor. This is where I got the parts, an Amish place in PA Good Luck Lawrence Hoover Diesel Service 255 Mascot Rd Ronks, PA 17572 phone 717-656-3322 fax 717-656-4022

Doesn't look good for me getting a kubota power plant I can afford... Looks like I'll be parting this beast out. Everything is in fantastic condition except the powerplant. I'm leaning towards buying a small kubota with a bucket loader, etc.... I'll miss the extrordinary cut but not the ringing in my ears or the blue fog that follows me around. Chuck

Chuck, I have a Kubota B2400 with a 60" deck. This tractor does a great job of mowing, almost (but not quit) as good as the Simplicity/AC tractors. It is great with a loader. Mike S.

Here's a diesel that was on Ebay...Woody[A href='http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1699346695']http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1699346695[/a]

Surplus Center (1-800-488-3407) has a Yanmar 23.7 Hp Diesel for $2195.00 and a 25.4 Hp Isuzu Diesel for $2395.00. Don't know if these are anywhere near your price range. Rod H.