Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

It doesn't cut evenly

michigandon

Nope, belts on right. I DID however make that mistake at first but knew something was wrong right away when I didn't see any clipping coming out the chute!

My b-1 does the same thing except the deck isnt bent it seems like it doesnt have enough power to turn the blades and i know it can,im thinking it needs new bearings?any ideas?thanks...mike

You're going to think this is a stupid remark (maybe) but are your blades installed upside down? I bought a machine with the blades upside down, cutting edges point the wrong way...It cut grass but really looked bad..Woody

Woody, I twisted my belt the wrong way at install last month and ended up with a similar problem. Rod H.

Is the belt on with the correct "twist"? If the twist is not correct then the blades will go clockwise instead of counter-clockwise as they should. Sorry to ask such a simple question but when I was younger if the car would not start my dad always asked a simple question... is it out of gas? John H

Rod, the machine with the blades backward was a 582 Cub Cadet. They don't have the twisted belt mixups only the which way is up confusion. I didn't even think of the twisted belt problem...Woody

Someone (I think Al Eden?) did a nice explanation of diagnosing and correcting bent mower decks. It seems like this to could be the explanation, alone or possibly in combination with your other two theories. The blades should be easy to eliminate as a culprit, visually, and I would think a bent spindle would exhibit a wobble. Now if the DECK is bent, I would imagine the straight blades and true spindles could still result in misaligned blade tips. Do a search on decks, deck straightening, blade alignment, etc.... Just my .02--no personal experience with this...yet. Peter

This has probably been addressed hundereds of times here, but then again maybe it hasn't. My 700 seems to not want to put an even cut across the surface of the lawn. Not sure how to describe what it looks like, but it puts down a "wavy" pattern. The rollers have all been rebushed, and the blades have less than 20 hours on them. I did try to inspect the blades visually and the middle one and the one closest to the discharge chute DO NOT line up with each other when turned to where the and of the blades line up with each other (it's all pretty difficult to describe, I know). Do I have bent blades or a bent spindle? Or both? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Don

Allow me to clarify that a bit more. There were no clippings blowing out of the chute at first, then I stopped the machine and put the "8" in the belt and the grass is now being discharged normally. But I'm still getting the crappy looking cut. :(

My first Simplicity deck had that problem. I found out that a weld holding the flange to the spindle had broken and was re-welded but not square with the deck, setting the blade at an angle. I cured this with shim washers. Mowed pretty good for awhile. Suddenly started the uneven mowing again. This time the deck cracked and was being cocked by belt tension. I also had a bent blade on a Murray that caused a similar cut. If the blades aren't bent then you can try shimming the spindles till the blades lie straight with each other. Rod H.