Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Mower Blades

jworth

If this has been discussed before sorry. I have tried to look up but have had very little luck. Looking mulching blades for a 42" deck on a Simplicity 2012. Over the years I have acquired pieces and parts for a leaf vacuum. I have not had much luck even finding regular blades. Everything seems to be NLA.I think that part number 1656144ASM will work as a regular blade. I have blades that are Oregon 91-717 and 91-712 but they seem to be NLA. They measure 14-1/4 and 14-3/8. The 1656144ASM are 14-1/2. Anyone have a source for blads?

Just a thought but I have a friend that has a lawn tractor same problem with blades, found out he could use my used Emark blades and just cut end off to fit his mower, ain't sayin they'll work for you but look at other blades that have the same mounting. Just my $.02

8 hours ago, jworth said:

That's my back up plan. Agrisupply has a bunch with similar bolt patterns just ain't real happy about cutting them.

if all you cut off is a little on the end and then rebalance them they will be fine

• Like 1

From the 2005 Oregon Blade Catalog:

image.thumb.png.0c77193c2041f714a070efe5cb4b3f47.png

I believe a 2012 vintage deck would have used the Simplicity #108298 (Oregon 91-717) blades.  The blade has the large center hole and attaches with 2 cap screws:

image.png.2a4225eff37d6fb2bd77452ff710c21d.png

It's my understanding that the early deck arbors did not have the bottom mounting plate of the arbor ground flat (weld area).  Hence the need for the large hole to clear the un-flat area. 

Later decks had the arbor bottom mounting plate ground flush and the large diameter hole was no longer needed and part #1656144 blade can be used.  

In the 2012 Blade Catalog, the equivalent blade with large center hole was no longer available:

Simp1_2012Cat.thumb.JPG.26d009478774a0d2ca249997614ea0d8.JPG

As for finding a high lift or "Gator Blade", I doubt you'll find any unless you find a dealer that has some old stock on his shelves.  

The Stens 345090 (3/4" center hole) claims to be a high lift blade, but but looks like a standard Simplicity blade to me.   

• Like 1

I looked for various gator / mulcher blade types without any success. I really wanted the blades that have 4 swinging blades attached to a round center arbor, I can't remember the name. Was never able to find anything, other than the standard blades that were still available at that time. Cutting down the blades that are currently available sounds like the best option.

Tom 

• Like 1

Thanks guys! Going to wait for a good dry day to see how my vacuum works! I'll run with the blades I have. I really hate raking leaves

• Like 2

This months Farm Show has this company, has mower blades with 4 quick change blades , 

Green Acres Group LLC, Nappanee, Ind. 46550,      800-608-5973   www.cutlassblades.com

maybe what your looking for.

Edited by 720nut

You have to have shaft out, but I have chucked them in the lathe to turn weld down flush.  After that it don't matter what size the center hole is.

• Like 1