Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Auction finds.

B10Dave

Local on line auction had an estate sale closing last Thursday. I was watching as the lots closed just for something to do. Very entertaining to watch the last second bids as people try to get a better deal, but as it's a "soft close" every last second bid triggers another 2 minute delay in closing of that lot. Near the end a lot came up with several drill index's. They were bid at a very low price for what was there so I decided to bid, even though I don't really need any more bits. For $65 I got a complete Letter, Number and fractional set up to 1/2 in. with the #59 & 60 bits missing and  a partial set with the # 59 & 60 in it. and a complete set of fractional from 1/16th to 3/8 in.

60034aa878db3_bits004.thumb.jpg.8d45d11efe4cd0ddb0a085e29c79f453.jpg

60034aeeccdc3_bits005.thumb.jpg.6a052da2c191eed32789de4031338da0.jpg

The second to last lot was a small sand blast outfit. It was only bid to $22 so I bid another $2 and there was no bid to counter mine so it also came home with me yesterday. I think it is a home built outfit but if it is the builder did a nice job of it. And for $24 it is better than the one I didn't have yet anyway.

600349c00b114_bits001.thumb.jpg.f02c045d75550802eaccc2af7037dc9c.jpg

60034a110d3a9_bits002.thumb.jpg.cb40d1a12b5248abbf1fe756e1143efa.jpg

60034a6082601_bits003.thumb.jpg.1d17e168449bfccf23003683295f1381.jpg

Edited by B10Dave
  • Like 6

Couple good buys there Dave! All auctions have been online here too, convenient, but not convenient at the same time. Some stuff sells higher this way I think, but there are still bargains. I've gotten a few. 

• Like 2

On 1/16/2021 at 7:39 PM, B-16_IC said:

Couple good buys there Dave! All auctions have been online here too, convenient, but not convenient at the same time. Some stuff sells higher this way I think, but there are still bargains.

Those online auctions can be great.  But there's a downside too.  When the few items you're bidding on go for more than you want to spend, but you still have to go pick up (usually on the other side of the planet) the $5 widget that you didn't really need or want that bad, but it turns out that's all you ended up winning.  dz   I think that's how some of those prices are driven up:  "well, I gotta go there anyway, so I might as well make it worth while". 

But, my best deal was a brand new M20 shortblock with a complete gasket kit.  Mint right from Kohler.  Figured it would go through the roof, but I ended up getting it for 76 bux.  Then there was the garage stereo (see note above) that I got for 20 bux, cheap old stereo, but it works, lost out on the stuff I was really interested in and had to drive round trip about an hour and half for it! &:)

• Like 2

Brett; I have limited myself to the truly "local" auctions for that very reason. I have 4 auction businesses within a 45 minute drive from home. I have stopped following any from further away..sm06

• Like 4

@Brettw  I have avoided bidding on some auctions for that very reason! Don't want to drive an hour for something I really don't need. 

My best deal this last year was an auction that was ten or so minutes from home. No preview time just look at pictures online. I bought a couple piles of scrap that yielded good pieces, a working metal cutting bandsaw, and a pile of lumber for 15 dollars that was a good load on my heavy 3/4 ton! Many 12 foot pieces. I've already used a chunk of that inventory that would have cost a fortune if I had to buy it new at current prices. Sometimes the sun does shine on a dog's hind end. &:)

• Like 2