Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
lboy1971

6116 belt problems

lboy1971
The Engine bolted right in place without drilling new holes or anything. When I got the tractor the guy gave me the engine double pulley that went with it. At the same time I got a 4208 without an engine but with the engine pulley also. I thought maybe I switched pulleys but they are the same lengths and have the same diameter mower drive pulley. The transdrive pulleys were just a little bit different size, but not much.

lboy1971
What engines were in the early 6116s? I got a 6116 without an engine. Then got a 16HP briggs vertical shaft opposed twin that the guy said came out of a 6116. Well none of the belts work. They are both too short. I bought new belts from simplicity. Correct for tractor model number and deck model no. 48" deck. They are both still too short. The deck belt by probably 4-5 inchs. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

HubbardRA
If the engine bolted directly onto the chassis with no mods, but the belts don't fit, then it probably has the wrong pulleys on the engine. The engine pulley is critical to get the tractor and mower speed right on a vertical shaft tractor. I've swapped several engines, but I always use the pulley for the tractor. Rod H.

lsenus
SERIES 6000, 6100, COMPACT LAWN & GARDEN TRACTORS MFG. NO. DESC BELT FUNCTION LENGTH INCHES PART NUMBER 1690422 6116 Trans. Drive 88.6 1664789 1690413 Rotary Mower, 48" Drive 126.14 1665638 Year Manuf # Tractor Desc Engine Model Engine Type 1979 1690422 6116 16 HP 401707 0132-01 [A href='http://www.njhsa.org/simplicity/simplicitymanuals.htm']http://www.njhsa.org/simplicity/simplicitymanuals.htm[/a]

HubbardRA
If you think you have the right pulleys, then buy buy longer belts. I actually do not know what is supposed to be on any of my machines. I just go to the local auto parts store and buy a belt, if it doesn't fit I take it back and get a larger or smaller size. When I get one that fits, I log down the length and width of the belt. I can then buy a belt anywhere they are sold. Mine always break on Sunday afternoons when none of the tractor places are open. There is, however, usually an auto parts place open. I recently changed the idler on my mower to make a belt fit that I had in the garage. I like the Gates green colored commercial duty belts. They may wear, but I have never broken one. Rod H.