Jump to content

Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Horvik

Simplicity 3416 H Exhaust Help

Recommended Posts

Horvik

Hello;

 

I am in the process of putting the exhaust on this tractor, not having the original factory setup. Is there a short method of modification to run the straight Briggs muffler on this tractor? AS it sits now, there is interference with the sheet metal of the hood.

 

All the best

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chris727

You might be able to put a male threaded coupler into the block and thread on a 45" to get enough angle to route the muffler out of the side. I think I had done this on a 7013S once. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Brettw

I think I may have the complete setup for that tractor, if it still has the Briggs in it.  I'm up west of Milwaukee a bit.  I'd rather work with you on getting you that than see the hood on these ol' tractors hacked up, or some cobbled exhaust contraption hangin' out the side.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PhanDad

An option is a lengthened FDT muffler.  It worked on a 7100 series tractor so I think it would also work for your 3416H.

When I installed the 16HP Briggs in the GTH-L, I initially used a FDT muffler:

SovGTHL_0028.jpg.053e8da14b7cc95151fd0f40ce5f2cc4.jpg

First I used a short nipple and coupling to extend the muffler out to avoid hood interference, but it stuck out to far IMO.  So I had the original nipple cut off and a "just right length" nipple welded on so it fit tight as seen in the pic above: 

IMG_0641a.JPG.e1f3c413fa62015a5deaceb229bbd978.JPG

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PhanDad

@Bill725

The ad is only for the muffler support strap.  But it's an interesting ad; it shows what can happen if a tree falls on your tractor:

image.png.37fc275118b7328568f324d693a4e693.png

image.png.63c6e018ba85918d34fb1c182c2d078a.png

Seller wants a C-note for the muffler:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Muffler-Simplicity-Baron-7014S-ID-1690337-See-description-celbx/154292242278?hash=item23ec88c766:g:SFEAAOSwOVhf~zkJ

I'm sure he has the connecting elbow listed too at an exorbitant  price.  

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bill725

@Horvik,

Please contact @Brettwfirst, as he offered first and he is a friend with a great personality and I would never want to step on his toes.

But, if for some reason it happens to not work out, I do have an exhaust system on a spare B&S 10HP I have no use for.

20210121_161521.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Horvik
12 hours ago, PhanDad said:

An option is a lengthened FDT muffler.  It worked on a 7100 series tractor so I think it would also work for your 3416H.

When I installed the 16HP Briggs in the GTH-L, I initially used a FDT muffler:

SovGTHL_0028.jpg.053e8da14b7cc95151fd0f40ce5f2cc4.jpg

First I used a short nipple and coupling to extend the muffler out to avoid hood interference, but it stuck out to far IMO.  So I had the original nipple cut off and a "just right length" nipple welded on so it fit tight as seen in the pic above: 

IMG_0641a.JPG.e1f3c413fa62015a5deaceb229bbd978.JPG

I am trying out your plan but my hood is hitting on the pipe itself. Still trying to work it out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PhanDad
2 minutes ago, Horvik said:

I am trying out your plan but my hood is hitting on the pipe itself. Still trying to work it out.

I guess @Chris727 was correct about the hood/Briggs exhaust port differences between 7000 and 7100 series tractors. The GTH-L is in the 7100 series family. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Horvik
15 hours ago, Brettw said:

I think I may have the complete setup for that tractor, if it still has the Briggs in it.  I'm up west of Milwaukee a bit.  I'd rather work with you on getting you that than see the hood on these ol' tractors hacked up, or some cobbled exhaust contraption hangin' out the side.

 

Hi Brett;

 

Well if you could let me know on the availability and terms that would be sweet. Is your setup from the 16 HP Briggs Single?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Brettw

It was a set up for the Briggs and would work on all the 10-16 h Briggs I'm quite sure.  Let me dig around, I know for sure I have the muffler, want to verify the rest. You might need the street elbow directly off the block, but those are hardware store items.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Brettw

Did some digging and can't find the muffler setup.  I even had it all packed up to go, to a guy who bagged off at the last minute.  If you have another option, maybe go after it, but I will dig a bit deeper later this week and see what I can find. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Who's Online (See full list)

    There are no registered users currently online

  • Today's Birthdays

    1. davidmoll
      davidmoll
      (61 years old)
    2. Mikethemasher
      Mikethemasher
      (50 years old)
  • Recent Status Updates

    • SonOfCreepfeed

      SonOfCreepfeed

      Thinkin' about this old girl.

      · 1 reply
    • Dean McFadden

      Dean McFadden

      Good morning peeps! I’m always searching for helpful information with my AC collection. Hope to find out new information and pass on my own experience in restoration. Here are some pics of my babies. I’m still looking for front rims for the 410 so yesterday I put the 310 wheels on took it for a drive. Working pretty good but still needs some carb work. Gotta get the 310 running next. Have a great day!😁
       

      · 1 reply
  • Adverts

×