Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

7112 losing power

wafe

Might want to right click, save this pic on your pc and then blow it up to make it more readable. Copied from the manual for your tractor. Simpler to understand then the kohler version. Hope this or Rod H.'s tips help. Brent http://ourworld.cs.com/Bcbaumer/governor.jpg

My 7112 loses power when I engage the mower to the point where I have to crawl along to mow the lawn. When the mower isn't engaged I can cruise around the yard no problem. The engine really bogs down and sometimes will stall out as soon as I engage the mower. Any suggestions? The mower blades seem to rotate freely without much resistance, but could it be it needs some more lubrication inside the mower deck/spindles?

Is your 12hp engine a Kohler? Could be the governor arm has come loose and allowed the governor to loosen up and "unwind". Had this problem last fall on my 916H. Hard to explain but could scan and email you how to make this adjustment out of the kohler manual - that is if you have a kohler. Brent

yes it is a Kohler 301-it seems as though it is something that just happened-as when I mowed a couple of weeks ago-it was running pretty well. But yesterday had a hard time of it

If the governor has not slipped as Brent suggested, then try these checks. I would check carb adjustment, and check for vacuum leaks with carb cleaner or starting fluid. Also check points, condenser,and spark plug. Also remove the fuel line and check fuel flow from the tank. Loss of power under load, if the engine is not misfiring, is usually due to a lean condition, which means lack of fuel. Rod H.