Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Late Sovereign Production

CarlH

dhoadey's recent thread concerning 'Dead Battery' stimulated an interest in the wiring for later Sovereigns fitted with Kohler OHV Command engines.  Wiring diagrams for these seem to be scarce. I have some info about wiring Kohler Commands in Sunstars but not exhaustive.  I have no wiring diagram that I am confident represents accurately the Sovereign Command wiring. Years (or Mfg #s) of production for Sovereigns with Command engines is a good start so I can find the appropriate Simplicity Electrical Information manuals.

TIA

In Kents literature box there is electrical information manuals for 1995, 1996, 1997, and 1998.

Could dig them out if you need info out of them.

I have Electrical Information Manuals for:

2000 (thanks to Bill)

The Sunstar Command is Spec # 64512 and the Sovereign Command is Spec # 62511 as far as I can tell.  Both of these Commands appear to use starter mounted solenoids and the Sunstar has a bulkhead mounted solenoid as well.  All the wiring diagrams for Sovereigns that I have found so far show only one (heavy gauge) wire going to the starter (from the bulkhead solenoid) and none to the solenoid on the starter!  I don't see how the starter is ever engaged.  The one wire starting circuits appear to be for a Triad and are incorrect for the Command.

I have some Sunstar wiring diagrams that have another wire going to the starter mounted solenoid that make sense.

I am looking for a wiring diagram for a Sovereign with a Command. sm02

@CarlH

I uploaded every Simplicity Electrical Information manual I have to the "Downloads" section of the site.  Specifically:

https://simpletractors.com/files/category/6-simplicity/

It includes all manuals from 1990 through 2003.  

I encourage you to upland the 1989 and 2005 manuals. 

And anyone that has the 2004 Manual to do likewise.  

As to proper Sovereign Command engine wiring diagrams,  I definitely saw incorrect Sovereign Command wiring diagrams.  That's why in my initial publication of my "Kohler Triad Replacement -Command" Post, I marked up an incorrect "Command" wiring diagram found on Page 3-28 of the April, 2001 version of the Large Frame Garden Tractor Repair Manual:   

Command_Wire_Corc.jpg.143dd25ee29cb32eb531804dc747acfc.jpg

I later replaced it with a correct wiring diagram from the 1997 Electrical Information wiring diagram:

Command_Cranking_Wirea.JPG.cc068bb75dc6a3678ac7be46d3d6790d.JPG

Note the Cranking circuit Bolded and the light gauge Orange "start" wire running from the dash solenoid to the Command engine harness plug (and on to the engine starter solenoid) traced in red.   

The above diagram matched the electrical IPL for a Command powered Sovereign:

Command_Eleca.thumb.jpg.cd2e33258b7bece7d30e9b3885920720.jpg

Note in the above diagram, the heavy gauge battery wire runs directly to the Command starter and the lighter gauge wire runs to the circuit breaker.  

Edited by PhanDad
Corrected Uploaded Manual Dates
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CarlH said:

What software did you use to mark-up the wiring diagram(s)?

Adobe Photoshop 5.0LE.  (not the first "corrected" diagram; that was a print it, write on it, scan it, and save it)

A bit old, but it works for me.  Getting old programs to install on the newer 64 bit OS (Win7 and Win10) takes a bit of work, but I like the older programs better because they're not so complicated and pretty much do everything I need them to do.  

Edited by PhanDad
added "bit"
  • Thanks 1

@CarlH

My neighbor's late model 1990's Sovereign Kohler Command spec is CH18S-PS62513.

The Triad starter does not have a starter mounted solenoid, therefore, only (1) heavy gauge cable runs from the safety solenoid mounted under the dash to the starter. The bendix is engaged into the flywheel ring gear by the starter rotation force. When I had mine, I had a problem with dirt on the bendix shaft which would prevent the bendix from engaging. I had to remove the starter to clean and apply dry lube to the bendix shaft.

When you repower from a Triad to Command, you have to run an additional wire from the safety solenoid under the dash to the starter mounted solenoid.

• Like 2

I feel the need to remind everyone that the electrical information manuals are all copyrighted material. To my knowledge permission has not been granted by Simplicity to post any of its copyrighted material to the downloads section of this site.. Anyone whon does so runs the risk of  having action taken against them by Simplicity MFG and or the Club itself. 

Posting of copyrighted material without permission from the copyright holder is in fact one of the items listed in the Club By -Laws as an offense that warrants removal from Club Membership, among other possible penalties.  See Article IV, section B, Item #6

https://simpletractors.com/forums/topic/42084-club-by-laws-for-potential-members-to-view/

I have noticed a number of Simplicity copyrighted items posted to the downloads section,  some that have been there quite a long time.  It is my understanding that Kent had permissions from someone at Simplicity from years ago to use some material, however it is not known exactly what material at this point, or how that material may be used.

At this point, the way things are written up,  its the individual members who run the risk if a copyright holder takes issue with something that a member has posted. They would likely either take legal action against that individual, and/or require the Site to take down the material and /or expel the member.

Eventually there is a plan to contact Simplicity about material that is not readily available and what can potentially be done with it, if anything. If Copyrighted material continues to be uploaded to this site, and there is no permission to use it that way,  it may work to shoot down any such efforts of making anything available.

Just suggesting that  everyone be conscious of what could happen when posting copyrighted material in public view..

Edited by SmilinSam
  • Like 1