Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Broadmoor rolls in gear

B-1 Bryan

It may be between Hi and Lo. Getting the pulley mounted on the shaft so that both Hi and Lo engage can take a few tries. There may also be wear in the nylon U-shaped things. (I don't know their proper name) Good luck, Dave

• Like 1

Thanks Dave! So what is the key? How do I know I have it on right? It was like this when I bought it, and the drive belt was missing. So I had to take the pulley off to install the belt. I got the belts on and I can’t get them to grip either. They’re NOS Simplicity belts, and I have the clutch/brake adjusted per the manual’s dimensions. So I’m stuck trying to figure out how to get this thing to drive. 

If the belt is not "gripping", it may not be the Hi/Lo at all. I'd have to take a look, but I remember there are 2 belts, series between the engine and the transaxle. Make sure they are both good. You could remove the Hi/Lo and replace with an appropriately sized pulley. The Hi/Lo is easy enough to disassemble and inspect. I'm a hack when it comes to being a mechanic and I did it, and got it put back together and working. Good luck, Dave

I wonder if the Hi/Lo came with a manual? I haven’t seen one yet, but if anyone knows where to find one that would be great!

If you can post a pic or two of the hi-lo it will be easier to solve.  The hi-lo has to be able to completely slide from one side to the other to shift from hi to lo and back.  If I remember right the unit slides onto the shaft until it either bottoms or is just a bit away from the tranny housing. There are two set screws, one goes over the key, one at 90 deg. from the first.  Only the one over the key locks the unit to the shaft if I remember right, it must be tight.  Lastly, when the unit is shifted to lo it has a dog that will engage one of the square nuts on the housing to stop it from spinning.  Make sure this dog is not damaged or worn and that it is engaging properly.

I had a post on dis-assembling and cleaning and checking the hi-lo unit quite a while ago, I don't know how to find it but it had pics and instructions.  If you, or someone can find it that may help you as well.  I believe Tim Flury might have also posted on the same subject back then too.

Finally, I don't want to be disagreeable, but i think there is only one belt, the hi-lo replaces the original pulley but has only one vbelt groove.  

Steve

Edited by steve-wis

Thanks Steve! I have moved my Broadmoor to another location, but’ll I’ll try to get to it soon to get some pics of the high/low. I did remove it a few times in the process of putting the belt on, but I never tightened any set screws, just the bolts into the transmission. I’ll look for that! In regards to the belts, the ‘68 and older ones like my 717 have 2 belts from the engine to the transmission. The newer ones, like my ‘71 728, have only one. Here’s a picture of the belly but it probably isn’t the right angle to be much help. 

ADA38702-C0BF-4521-B1C3-62A10E767248.jpeg

• Like 2