Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sovereign lighting

rbstuartjr

So with all this snow we’ve been getting here in NY,  I’ve been blowing  snow in the wee early hours and last at night and the lighting is terrible. I did put “super bright led bulbs in the original headlights and it helped but still not that much brighter. So has anyone done any upgrading of the headlights yet on these.  Not looking to cut up the hood or add lights all over the place, just looking to put something in the stock location. I was thinking about adding lights to the blower head , but they would not have survived the snow drifts and plow drifts that we have. The stock headlights are much brighter on my 910 with the PAR 36, so much so, that I’m contemplating swapping hoods.  

I have a light mounted on snow blower head

works good

wish I had  one the full length of head

I have 46 inch blower

and do several sidewalks and driveways

I have to stay on pavement

and not rip up grass

diifficult to see with headlights

• Like 1

I changed mine out to halogens years ago and it helps but to do it right you need a snow cab with lights on top. The chute gets in the way with just tractor lights.

So I ended up putting these led lights in the Sovereign.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072HFBN6T/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I used a Dremel tool and notched the sides in for the studs in the tractor. They are much brighter than the led bulbs I put in the replacement lenses. I zip tied the wiring up and away from the exhaust. Everything fits and the new leds are the same thickness as the original lights. I now have 3 led lights on the machine 2 up front and 1 in the back. They barely register on the amp meter when on. Hopefully they will be brighter at night and in the snow. We will see. 

E73F2503-CC84-4BFC-A3FD-13DE4946A17A.jpeg

7040C79D-4F24-4302-9FE7-FE8ED18BF0CD.jpeg

98FC1F53-4721-438C-8FDE-F4DCDB9B38A9.jpeg

715225B2-1658-422F-899D-ECBBA899D5AC.jpeg

DCF2CD59-94A3-4FD9-9C65-FC8B8C8C9135.jpeg

Edited by rbstuartjr
Wrong picture
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, tripleguy said:

I changed mine out to halogens years ago and it helps but to do it right you need a snow cab with lights on top. The chute gets in the way with just tractor lights.

I would love a cab but they don’t show up in my area that often but one day I hope to have one.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the link. I ordered a set of those lights and love them! Nothing better than putting in a set of lights and not having to butcher up the tractor to do so. They fit surprisingly well. 

I’m very happy they worked for you as well. I had them on during my last snow event for 2 hrs . They worked really well and had no issues with heat on the wiring or the led bases. My goal was to not butcher the tractor and be able to go back to the original lighting if needed.

• Like 1