Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Snow

kwt

I live just a twitch SW of East Jordan, which is @ the end of the South Arm of Lake Charlevoix.  I'm in the process of renovating a house half way between Charlevoix and East Jordan. The 47" 2 stage commercial Sunstar is @ that place, and my single stage 42" 20hp Sovy is @ home. I've been busy this month. The local TV stations out of Travers City and Cadillac have been giving forecasts of "isolated lake effect snow". I've been experiencing that phenomenon for 10 days with no end in sight. This is rare in February, but Lake Michigan is still warm, so here I am.

Lake_effect2.jpg

lake_effect.jpg

Snow doesn't bother me but the frigid temps do , we were coming up this weekend but there saying it's to be really cold and wife decided she doesn't want to go

• Like 1

Snow doesn't bother me per se, but the every day, forever, non stop 1-3 inches can get tiresome. It ain't winter storm whateveryouwanttocallit, it's just winter.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

No kiding!  I was not aware you were up that way.  I love the area, and am actually planning a trip up there to fetch a machine soon.  We typically have a similar lake effect 'issue' here. but this year has been extraordinarily bland.  We are a few feet below normal snowfall.  I used to enjoy a chance to run the machine a few days each week, but now it seems like I can't fit in the time it takes to clear 1100' of blacktop.  Today we will get a nuisance 1/2", so I'll run a speed test and see how quickly I can cover the entire drive with the 60" broom.  When it stays cold, it bugs me to pack all these little snowfalls into ice pack.  We are accustomed to frequent thaws, so most times, I can let mother nature melt it away.  I don't think we're supposed to see temps exceed 20 for at least another week.

Say, since you're in the area, are you familiar with Galmore's Sales, last known as Galmore's, Inc?  They were right in East Jordan. I have been trying to find someone associated with them.  They were an old Simplicity dealer and I purchased a sign from them several years back.  

image.png.dca4c9111d14e1c2cb75ed796894a4c2.png

Well women, now she wants to go , go figure . We'll be in LON sometime Saturday and staying till Monday , bringing my Simplicity snow blower to clear out a trail to the trailer and fire pit

Im seriously looking at wintering somewhere warm for a few months. Used to love winter when I was younger but I absolutely hate it now. I get stir crazy sitting in the house. Add Covid to the mix - this is NOT what I envisioned of retirement.

• Like 1

On 2/12/2021 at 9:09 AM, Talntedmrgreen said:

are you familiar with Galmore's Sales, last known as Galmore's, Inc? 

I know the family. No longer in business. The youngest is now a plumber. Galmore's was started by selling Ski-Doos in the 60's. They sold a ton of them out of  "Galmore's Ski-Doo Barn".

At one time or another they sold Simplicity, Toro, Honda, Arctic Cat, and Stihl products.

@kwt When i purchased my sign they offered me two 16’ signs that matched it.  I had no way to get them home and no spare cash.  I haven't been able to track down the contact info of who i dealt with and would LOVE to get up there and fetch those.  

Mean while the News People in New York City are acting look it's the end of the world when it snows. This funny thing they call winter it's like it happen every year.

I used to use this tool a lot when I was big into snowmobiling...dreaming of the deep snow 'up north'.  My drive Saturday was pleasant and picturesque.  It's a beautiful area, for sure.  I'd venture to guess amost all of Michigan's snowbelt areas are a few feet behind on snow, but the area has plenty for the winter tourism machine to finally be up and running...as much as it can be.

image.thumb.png.c0b6575636f74b5bf0ac9ee4bb789c8a.png

WE got up there around 2:30pm Saturday and it didn't stop snowing till early today , sun was actually shining as it always does when it's time to leave and come home.

.Strange , bad roads north of Clare on the way up and bad south till we got home, Hearing anywhere from 4 to 12 inch tonite for here and more on Wed.

Started here hard around six , almost an inch an hour so far 

Edited by 720nut

7 hours ago, krt said:

Mean while the News People in New York City are acting look it's the end of the world when it snows. This funny thing they call winter it's like it happen every year.

Every thing is a crisis now-days. Clouds up and it's the storm of the century. The weather channel is naming almost every cloud. We have been locked down to flatten the curve for a year now. Scared people are easy to control.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3