Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
dhoadley

Starter bendix sticking

dhoadley

At least I think that's what its called. The small starter gear on the A/C 917 won't engage the fly wheel. In the past, I've removed the sheet metal and squirted WD40 at it. I'm wondering if I'm just making it worse in the long run. What the right way to fix this problem? Thanx, Dave

rbstuartjr

What I have done in the past is, take it off the machine, clean the area the gear slides on really well with brake cleaner then apply a dry lube. I have used a product that sprays on wet then dries quickly but leaves a Teflon coating on everything. I think anything wet attracts dirt which could cause poor operation. 
        I would also check the gear if it’s worn and check the flutes the gear rides on for wear. Sometimes, the gear is worn it gets pushed back too far and won’t engage the flutes when spun. Unless your starter is of a different type then disregard.

• Like 1

Snojetter

I used the WD-40 dry lube spray when I had the same problem with my 917.  That's going on a couple years now, and hasn't stuck since.  I did remove the starter to clean it first and then applied the dry lube.

rbstuartjr

I’m not that familiar with your engine,  but from the pictures I’ve seen of the Briggs engine and the starters for it, it looks like it can be done without removing the engine. It looks to be 2 bolts holding the starter to the block and one nut holding the positive cable on. I’m just going by pictures I’ve seen on the internet.

MrSteele
On 2/12/2021 at 11:08 AM, rbstuartjr said:

It looks to be 2 bolts holding the starter to the block and one nut holding the positive cable on.

is right. If it is still original, there is a clip on one of the bolts to hold wires in place coming from under the flywheel.

Another thing that causes a definite mis-operation of these starters is a low battery. Everything seems to work, but the gear does not engage the flywheel, or will engage, then do nothing. You have to turn the engine over by hand to make the starter gear get out of the flywheel.

steve-wis

I use a spray lube called tri-flow, it goes on and dries and leaves it slick, I believe it is a teflon product.  Works great for me!  My old simplicity dealers mechanic told me once, pb blaster to get it moving, tri-flow to keep it moving.

Steve

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1