Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

tripleguy

42" blower down pressure?

tripleguy

How much down pressure do you use on your 42" single stage blower?

My auger is not true and I get a lot of chatter in the blower unless I have downpressure in the lift rod. This means I go through shoes fast. Already wore out the fresh set I put on at the beginning of the year. Might have to live with the bounce or look for another blower. 

rbstuartjr

Honestly, when I first got mine I pushed it down till it stopped and the spring was tight. Now after wearing through shoes and scraper bars, I know let it float with very little down pressure and the shoes last a lot longer.

Bill725
1 hour ago, rbstuartjr said:

I pushed it down till it stopped and the spring was tight.

This will cause the lift rod to bend when the blower is forced up.

rbstuartjr

When the my blower is all way down, I don’t mean my spring is fully compressed. I set my spring and collars so there is still available spring compression when my hydro down movement stops. This will allow my blower to raise without bending the rod.

rockfangd

I wonder if your shoes are not straight. By chance are you setting them on level ground?

Mine chatters if I apply too much down pressure. 

Watch your blowers position as you lift and drop it. Where exactly is it hitting? Check the scraper bar and see if it is worn. I would not think it would be possible but maybe it is worn to the point that the bottom of the auger is hitting the ground, and the downforce tips the blower forward just enough to lift the back and not chatter.

I hope that made sense

tripleguy

I put new material on the scraper bar this fall

Shoes are level but they are both worn down. Spring and collar move forward (compress) about an inch with down pressure. I know auger isn't true because blower will bounce a bit when lifted off the ground. 

steve-wis

Sounds to me like you need to tear down that blower this spring and straighten whatever is bent, or else replace.  My blower never has down pressure, I set it so the collar and spring have a couple of inches of clearance when all the way down.  I will use some down pressure with a blade but even then never enough to compress the spring more than a little bit.  I run shoes for 4 or 5 years between replacing.

Steve

AC710
18 hours ago, tripleguy said:

My auger is not true and I get a lot of chatter in the blower

How good are the auger bearings? If they are worn that could cause the off balance condition. They are not too expensive and are not hard to replace, just a little time-consuming. Also, check the drive chain tension.

tripleguy

Chain was tensioned this fall and bearings seem good. I'll look again but I suspect auger is not true. If I spin it by hand, it turns freely but ends up with the same section facing down. Thx for the tip on the composite shoes. I'll give those a try too. 

kwt
2 hours ago, tripleguy said:

If I spin it by hand, it turns freely but ends up with the same section facing down.

I welded a little piece of steel on the auger to balance it. Worked great.

augerbalance.jpg

rbstuartjr

I’ve been running the Robalon shoes since 2008 or 2009, this is the last season for them . I definitely will be putting a new set on for next year. Well worth it.

tripleguy

Gave it a run today without down pressure and it was OK. I like trying to balance it with some steel weights welded to the center paddle section of the auger. I'll play with that this spring along with some of those poly type skids and I think it will make a big difference. Thx.

• Like 1