Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

B-10 Hydrolift troubleshooting

4fingerTom

The hydraulic lift on my B10 has been acting up lately. From a cold start the lift functions properly but after about 10 minutes it stops working. So far I've changed the oil and checked for proper belt tension and both seem fine. Any advice would be greatly appreciated
FD2iCta.jpg

Is it normal for the cylinder to have this much play?

Edited by 4fingerTom

Not sure about your machine, but on other tractors when this happens, as the oil warms up, it gets thinner, and will get by any worn components in hydro system. Another thing is if your getting any air in the pump ie, pump losing prime. 

You may want to consider rebuilding it. You can download the IPLs from the Simplicity Mfg website. Use MFg Nos. 990367 and 990468. I think the only difference is the is how the pump is mounted to the Pump Support Assemble, (2) screws or (4) screws. The pump is a Parker Series D. You can search the internet and download the Parker catalog and service manual. The Parker pump rebuild kit is P/N 686632K for Buna-N seals, $65, and 745083K for Viton seals. There are additional o-rings required to rebuild the valve. If you proceed to rebuild, I have a bill of material. Just ask.

I have torn down and replaced o-rings in 2 or 3 of these and its helped performance. I've got 2 mounted on fdt right now that work. I've got 4 (don't ask) units on the shelf that I had planned to do the same and a back stock of o-rings. Note - some of the o-rings are standard while some will have to be special ordered. Here is one link to @thedaddycat article https://simpletractors.com/forums/topic/8443-hydraulic-lift-ram-exploded-view/ but I have another somewhere that lists o-rings in a spreadsheet I believe.  

I probably have most if not all of the o-rings on the shelf. Bought 25-50 packs when I did mine.

Before you buy the Parker kit it might be worth doing all the rest of the o-rings.

If interested in a pack of rings, send me a PM here.

We can take off line to get you fixed up.