Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Splicing a spark plug wire

B-1 Bryan

I have a coil for a 19D Briggs that seems to test out ok with a multimeter, but somehow the end of the plug wire was cut off. Anybody have any thoughts on splicing another wire to it with an end on it so I can resurrect my B-1? Would that work?

838A60E8-5E43-4B21-9F05-A24503F8238C.jpeg

I believe you are looking for "NLA" B&S P/N 296834. B&S has a list of antique parts dealers. Another option is to change the ignition system over to a battery powdered coil ignition system.

• Like 1

Hello, This is not the correct way to do it  , But you could solder another plug wire to it and coat it with E6000 industrial glue and shrink wrap it . It may be fine .

I read about someone who would take the old Tecumseh coils apart and repair them .

Thanks Ken in Mi

• Like 1

Thanks Bill, I have seen that directory on the B&S website, I’ll keep that in mind. The previous owner had a battery coil on it. I’m hoping to get rid of it. 

Mark, I have attacjed more pics of the coil. 

Ken, thanks for the tips. I’m going to try the solder splice and check the resistance in the coil before and after to see if I can measure voltage drop due to the splice. Can’t hurt anything to try! 

955A0B95-024A-4680-939B-1FC1E1D9A037.jpeg

BCBCB310-78AB-465E-922A-7673D9978DC9.jpeg

7D3AFA15-0880-479E-8A5F-D57F8558AFD0.jpeg

They are very hard to find so far. I believe the coil is different between the Briggs Model 19 and 19D, as is the entire ignition system. There don’t seem to be that many out there. 19D’s were only installed in the B-1’s in 1963 I think. 

• Like 1

You can get a length of spark plug wire, not silicone wire, from any good parts store. This basically implies a mom and pop store. Strip the extension wire and the original wire, clean and tin the ends. Slide  3 pieces of shrink wrap over the wire on the coil side, solder the wires and be certain of a good connection. Slide the first piece of shrink wrap centered over the joint and shrink. Slide the next piece of wrap over the joint but more to one end, still over the joint, and shrink. Do the same with the third piece, to the other direction and shrink. You have now got a good extended coil wire that will not "leak" at the splice. I have done this several times on chainsaws and old engines with cracked plug wires. Never had a problem. One of my chainsaws is running well over ten years with a black and white plug wire.you will only need about a quarter inch of wire to solder on each end. Might want to untwist the wires and shove them together a bit before soldering. I have done with and without shoving together, depending on condition of the original wire

You can get a length of spark plug wire, not silicone wire, from any good parts store.

I got a roll of solid core spark plug wire at NAPA about 15 years ago.  It wasn't a stocking item then at that location.

• Like 1

I've gotta take the plug wire off of an old coil sometime and see how the wire is attached to the coil. Used to be that some  has little spikes in them that went into the end of the wire, If this was so you could replace the entire plug wire.

• Like 1

Thanks guys, pretty encouraging stuff. I’m itching pretty bad to get this tractor running. Now I get to learn how to solder!

Edited by B-1 Bryan

On 2/20/2021 at 6:20 PM, spi said:

I've gotta take the plug wire off of an old coil sometime and see how the wire is attached to the coil. Used to be that some  has little spikes in them that went into the end of the wire, If this was so you could replace the entire plug wire.

I used to see similar. Some old coils even had the plug wire soldered to the lead coming out of the mag. The last few..about 40 years, the plug wire was molded in the mag. Those have to be spliced in some way or other. That chainsaw is a late 70s saw, it was molded. I also have done Clintons and a Briggs or 2, customers products that made an uh oh, and did not want to go to the expense of a new coil.

20 minutes ago, B-1 Bryan said:

Now I get to learn how to solder!

If you "get to learn" you will need more than a quarter inch of wire stripped to make it easier on your schooling! should not need over a half inch. The wires lay together, if you strip a half inch, when finished, the joint should be just over a half inch.

• Thanks 1