Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Ron_B

Snow blower

Ron_B
Seeing this is the right time to buy snow blower.I see they have them on sale.What i would like to know is how good are they in packed snow.I am talking about snow sliding of a long metal roof.It drops pretty hard in the driveway.Would tractor and blower be able to move it. Thanks.--Ron B

UCD
Depends on your Tractor and its traction. I have no problem with my 7790 with 42" blower,ag tires,loaded and wheel weights with chains. It will even handle chunks of ice if they will fit in the blower it just grinds them up. A little rough on it but it does it. This & $1.00 might get you a small coffee Maynard aka/UCD

MikeES
A good rule of thumb (and the reason these Sim/AC tractors work so great at blowing snow). >>The tractor must weigh at least three times a much as the snowblower. Everyone that I know that have a heavy garden tractor, loves the snowblower attachment. Everyone that I know that have a dept. store tractor (yes even the one they call a garden tractor) hates their snowblower attachment. I know it is a matter of the tail waggin' the dog. Bottom line>> if you have 800 to 1000# pushing into the heavy packed snow it will be no problem. But if only have about 300 to 400# of total mass ... FORGET IT! Good Luck! Mike S.

Ron_B
Thanks for the info, on snow blower.Now to try and find something heavy enough to do the job.Mike you say tractor must weigh three times as much as blower,i guess that means at least 18 or more hp.Thanks again.---Ron B