Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

bnolte

Vanguard 18 blowing seals, Engine swapping a Kohler Courage

bnolte

My 2000ish Landlord DLX with the Vanguard 28 V twin seems to have a problem retaining its bottom oil seal. I replaced it once and the replacement came right back out. Next time I glued it in with Red Loctite, and it seems to have held for a couple of years, but based on the oil leakage underneath the tractor, it seems to have blown again. Winter isn't over, and I add oil when I need to use the tractor to plow snow, and the oil level drops to the bottom of the full range on the dipstick. The engine seems to run well, with just a little blue smoke on startup and is holding oil pressure. The tractor had about 300 hours on it when I got it in 2012, and the engine had been replaced at some point before that. The hour meter stopped working at about 370 hours, but I figure it has probably 1000 hours total on it. 

I plan to take a closer look in the spring when I convert it back over to mowing.  The main thing I suspect is that the crankcase breather is blocked, causing excess pressure inside the crankcase, If worst comes to worst, I have a 22 horsepower Kohler Courage I could possibly swap in, which is out of a Husquvarna residential Zero turn with bad transmissions on both sides. That motor runs well, and has about 230 hours on it. Is this an easy swap?

Edited by bnolte
  • Like 1

bnolte
3 minutes ago, Bill725 said:

I have been told you have to have Courage to run a Kohler Courage.

Someone has been watching some Taryl Videos on Youtube. sm03

Seriously, it came from my brother, who maintains his equipment. It isn't a top of the line motor, but it outlasted the POS Hydrogear 2800 wheel drives. 

bnolte

I finally got around to taking the PTO off, I had to fix a wiring issue with it and discovered the seal was intact and dry, but I still have an oil leak on the right side of the motor, so I need to clean things up to find the leak. 

bnolte

I went through the tractor this spring, and replaced the seal again, taking care to lube it and the crank with white grease before installing it. The leak seemed to have quit, at least the first couple of times I mowed, but now the leak is as bad as ever. I also checked the breather (ok) and for excess pressure from the dipstick tube, but that didn't seem to be a problem. I am beginning to think I may have gouged the crank when pulling the seal with a screwdriver. 

I also checked the Courage engine on the Zero Turn. After checking the model number I found that the crank is too long (4") and too large in diameter ( 1 1/8), so it is back to square one.

Edited by bnolte