Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
KevinD

Help with 7117 running rough

KevinD
My 7117 has never exhibited any running problems until just lately. Last week I tightened the nut that holds the throttle handle on. It now has the right amount of tension to stay in the full throttle position while mowing. Since then when I start the engine it will not run smooth unless the choke is pulled out. When the choke is pressed in the governor linkage appears to move in and out and the motor runs terribly. If I pull the choke out it runs much smoother. Also if you try to drive the tractor it will bog down as soon as you start moving. After three seasons with this tractor I have never had anything like this happen. Does anyone have any diagrams or explanations of the three screws in the carburertor. The small silver one appears to be an idle adjustment. There is a brass screw on top going down, and one on the side going in. I wonder if I accidently moved these while cleaning the engine. Please help if possible. Thanks in advance. Kevin Dankmeyer

MikeES
The top screw is the high speed fuel adjustment. The screw at an angle is the low speed fuel adjustment. Factory settings are low speed 1 turn; hi-speed 2-1/2 turns. First make sure your points are in good condition, second make sure your governer arm has not slipped on the shaft, then third adjust your carburetor. The carburetor adjustments are: start with factory settings and a warm engine. Adjust low speed with engine at idle (1200 rpms) and slowly turn screw clockwise until engine runs rough. Turn counter-clockwise past where it runs smooth until it starts to "load up". Adjust to midpoint between the two. Adjust the hi-speed the same way but at full throttle (3600 rpms). To adjust governor, loosen set screw and pull gov. arm away from carb. as far as it will go. Grasp the end of cross shaft (governor shaft) with pliers and turn clockwise as far as it will go. Tighten the setscrew or palnut on governor arm to 15 in. lb. of torque. Good Luck! Mike S.